Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Oliver Celtrac HG-68 tractor - photos

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

Oliver Celtrac HG-68 tractor - photos

Produced between 1939 and 1951, the Oliver-Celtrac HG-68 crawler tractor was powered by Hercules IXK-3 engine that produced 16 ½ horsepower. It was available with a belt pulley, PTO shaft, and various track pads for different applications.

Previously:

½ Scale Oliver 1655 tractor - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 26, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Jan 31, 2019), oldpastit (Jan 27, 2019), PJs (Jan 26, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 25, 2019), suther51 (Jan 25, 2019), will52100 (Jan 25, 2019)

Thanks
    Middle pic looks like an old steam shovel run off of a compressor in the background.
    Eric

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    fantastic, I do not know why ERTLE die cast models haven't produced this in a replica series for those of us who collect metal models that we can't
    afford in life. Thank You

Thanks
    Oliver-Celtrac HG-68 crawler tractor
    Is misspelt it should be
    Oliver-Cletrac HG-68 crawler tractor

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    I just got an Oliver HG myself a month ago. I've wanted one for many years, and finally found one for the right price and location, so I snatched it up!
    Oliver Cletrac crawler tractors on these models have what's called Tru-Traction, where both tracks are powered even through turns and on slopes. Conversely, an open differential with brakes on each side will lose power in turning because as one side is braked, the other side speeds up. On the side of a slope, this can be quite bad.

I have to say, driving my Oliver HG is quite easy and smooth! It is actually easier to drive than my WD Allis Chalmers tractor!
    I plan to use it to pull a rotary mower for my pasture, and once I find a small disc, to till and even the ground.
    Plus I just like it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomsbyKent View Post
    I just got an Oliver HG myself a month ago. I've wanted one for many years, and finally found one for the right price and location, so I snatched it up!
    Oliver Cletrac crawler tractors on these models have what's called Tru-Traction, where both tracks are powered even through turns and on slopes. Conversely, an open differential with brakes on each side will lose power in turning because as one side is braked, the other side speeds up. On the side of a slope, this can be quite bad.

I have to say, driving my Oliver HG is quite easy and smooth! It is actually easier to drive than my WD Allis Chalmers tractor!
    I plan to use it to pull a rotary mower for my pasture, and once I find a small disc, to till and even the ground.
    Plus I just like it!
    Congrats!
    Now that I have a jd 420c i would not want to be without it. Power to both tracks thru a turn sounds like the best going. My crawler has a simple bevel gear with steering clutches and steering breaks. Often as soon as a steering clutch is disengaged traction is lost to the remaining powered track. It does seem like an idiot fuse, helps keep me out of trouble
    Eric

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information