Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: One job leads to several more

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

One job leads to several more

Hi All
    As this post title suggests

I was going to finally get around to spray painting some of my 1" scale traction engine. So set about shot blasting some components to give a good key for the paint. Unfortunately the shot blast gun was not picking up the shot. The gun was taken apart and the offending part replaced. I also noticed the component tray in the cabinet was looking very tired and badly patched up by its previous owner.

So I thought I can't leave that like that, so easy fix, I will grind the old perforated mesh off and simply bend and weld a new one to the frame. Well the frame was very badly pitted from years of shot and the welds holding it together were nonexistent. So a new frame was also in order. Anyway a five minute job turned in to a all day affair.

But I must say it was one of those jobs that really did need doing and even though i was a little frustrated, not getting anything painted the blast cabinet is in a lot better condition and works.

One job leads to several more-old1.jpg One job leads to several more-old2.jpg
    Old tray

One job leads to several more-weld.jpg One job leads to several more-weld1.jpg
    Pitted and poor welded frame.

One job leads to several more-oldnew.jpg
    New and old tray (before anyone asks the new one is the bottom one )

One job leads to several more-waiting.jpg
    Waiting for tray

One job leads to several more-inplace.jpg
    Tray in place

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 13, 2020), Tule (Mar 11, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Sandblaster Cabinet Repair to our Media Blasting category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    What are you using for blast media? Silica will attract moisture and when left in contact with the steel will cause the new work to corrode and oxidize as well. Glass media probably not as bad. Soda (blast material may very well cause as much rust as silica.. I don't know. Can anyone else "weigh-in" on this?

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi VinnieL
    i hadn’t considered any of your thoughts about corrosion and oxidation. I haven’t had any issues in the past or at least any that I am aware of. I tend to shot blasts wipe down with thinners then etch prime straight away and then two or three coats of paint. I am by far from a painting expert it took several years for me to build up enough courage to paint my Sweetpea loco so I would also be very interested in views of people with experience in this discipline.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information