Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Outdoor Christmas Light Brackets and Extension Hanger Tool

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Outdoor Christmas Light Brackets and Extension Hanger Tool

I have a one-story house except for a two-story section over the front door entrance. The one-story house makes it very easy to hang the outdoor Christmas lights from the gutters except for the two-story turret over the front entrance. I decided to do this differently after almost 20 years using an extension ladder for putting on the lights over the front door entrance. This year I installed permanent brackets below the gutters for easily stringing the lights with a step ladder and a wood pole to lift and place the light wires on the brackets.

The bracket parts are made from 1.5” brass C360 rod, 0.375” dia. stainless steel 303 rod, and secured with 8-32 stainless steel socket head cap screws. The brackets are secured into the house with galvanized deck screws (and #10 plastic screw anchor after drilling a hole in the stucco). The light hanging extension tool is made from an 8’ x 5/8” sq. scrap wood section and s-shaped bent finishing nail (will make something better for next time).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outdoor Christmas Light Brackets and Extension Hanger Tool-christmas-lights-held-brass-stainless-brackets.jpg   Outdoor Christmas Light Brackets and Extension Hanger Tool-outdoor-christmas-light-bracket-side-view.jpg   Outdoor Christmas Light Brackets and Extension Hanger Tool-outdoor-christmas-light-bracket-parts-ready-assembly.jpg   Outdoor Christmas Light Brackets and Extension Hanger Tool-form-tool-produces-rounded-corners-bracket.jpg   Outdoor Christmas Light Brackets and Extension Hanger Tool-custom-form-tool-maching-rounded-corners-brackets.jpg  

Outdoor Christmas Light Brackets and Extension Hanger Tool-christmas-light-hanger-pole.jpg   Outdoor Christmas Light Brackets and Extension Hanger Tool-christmas-light-hanger-detail-hook-end.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Jun 26, 2017 at 12:11 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 8, 2015), kbalch (Dec 9, 2015), PJs (Dec 9, 2015)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Very interesting. I routinely pick up broken plastic light clips from my yard. Newer holiday lights are notorious for planned obsolescence, and I am beginning to think the same of the clips.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 9, 2015), PJs (Dec 9, 2015)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Jon,
    I know what you mean. I still use the s-shape plastic light clips on my gutters for the one story high lights but removing the lights from the two-story gutters became a real pain with lots of extension ladder moves. I think the permanent brackets will make the decorating job much easier and faster.
    Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 9, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    That's quite innovative. Wouldn't a strong gust of wind displace the wire from the hanger?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 10, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul! We've added your Christmas Light Brackets to our Lighting category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul! We've added your
    Light Hanger to our Lighting category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thanks DIYer. We get a lot of Santa Ana winds this time of year and will be a great test to see if the lights stay in place. I did put the turret light wires under extra tension using two 6' extension cords that connect the turret light strings ends down to the one-story light strings attached to the gutters below. That is a great question and a concern I had in designing the brackets. In the past the Santa Ana wind gusts would blow some of the icicles light strings up and over and into the gutters along the top of the turret and that was a real pain to flip them back down without getting the extension ladder out again. That is when I thought about putting the lights on small brackets below the turret gutters.
    Thanks, Paul

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information