Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Paint bungs

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Paint bungs

Hi All,

Following on from my painting hangers http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...ay-booth-67131 I thought I would share how I prevent paint getting into bores. I find it hard enough to coat components at the best of times so this is a very annoying part of painting/spraying in stopping paint getting in places you don’t want it. Masking holes I also find difficult.

One day I had loads of holes that needed to be masked so paint didn’t get in. A few weeks before I had been to a car boot sale (garage sell) and bought a wine/beer making kit, which I only wanted the bucket with the lid to house my pickling solution for silver soldering. Amongst the kit was some rubber corks which fitted a treat in the holes. As this was successful I have since acquired several different size corks as can be seen from the photo. The second photo shows the hub of a capstan wheel from my ring roller I am currently building using the corks to block the holes I don’t want the paint to cover.

I hope this will be helpful to anyone who has had this issue and if anyone has any other good masking techniques I would be very keen to learn more.

Paint bungs-bungs.jpg Paint bungs-hub.jpg

Thank you for viewing.
    The Home Engineer.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Mar 31, 2018 at 03:06 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 31, 2018), Moby Duck (Mar 31, 2018), PJs (Apr 4, 2018), rossbotics (Apr 1, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 31, 2018), Sleykin (Mar 31, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Natural or poly corks are used by many industries, and are available through many sources. But the most I've seen are used in painting, and re-usable many times. The poly type are more tapered, small as 1/16", hence more diameter range.
    In lieu of stoppers, I've had decent performance from rolled news print, with top crimped.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 31, 2018), Paul Jones (Mar 31, 2018), PJs (Apr 4, 2018), thehomeengineer (Apr 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I save those plastic plugs from every plumbing, hydraulic fitting, or replacement part I buy. I have several coffee cans full of them. Probably the most indispensable throw away item ever invented. I use them and reuse them over and over and cringe when ever I see someone step on one that has fallen to the ground. A customer thought I was nuts when I told him to take care removing them and to save them instead of tossing them in the trash until he tried to return a very expensive valve he bought that had the wrong porting and spool configuration the supplier wanted to charge him over a $1000.00 dollars. He said I'll be back in a couple of hours. rummaged through my stash and found some new looking identical plugs went back traded out the valve only a $25.00 restock fee. Now a believer for life, and I am no longer the nutty guy who saves plugs from the trash.
    Last edited by Frank S; Mar 31, 2018 at 10:19 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 4, 2018), thehomeengineer (Apr 1, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Apr 1, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Paint Bungs to our Painting category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information