Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: People used as forklift counterweight - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

People used as forklift counterweight - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Jan 9, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Here we go again trying to lift a load that if it had been compact enough to remain within the 2 ft rule of the loading parameter for the forklift of that size the fork lift could have lifted and transported with no problems but since the center of gravity was probably 3 times that distance a load of say 4000 lbs is not effectively 12,000. there is no way 500 to 600 lbs of human counter weight , as dangerous as that is in the first place could ever compensate for such a load to be raised that far from the load rating center distance from the mast.
    They were extremely lucky the guy that fell off of the back was not crushed
    If you look at a stop action you can see that the mast was not tilted all the way back either this may not have been possible due to the large diameter of the load

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    been there done that.....but not with tiny fork lift. the fork lift at the marina I worked at was fine for up to 46' cigerettes&such...most of the time.( with 3 big v8 engines). but on occasion...I reckon the fuel was toped off and the cooler was full....it did need a body or 2 on the rear.mostly for steering as the wheels could come off the ground a inch or 2...wtf the boats were only about 3/4 of a million... never had any issues.. without a full load of fuel no problem. I learned counter weight long ago racing where a 2 pound weight out at the nose of the race car for track tuning +- a pound could make or break a good run. farther back and a lot more weight had to be used witch is...slower time. six&a half second's over 212mph all it takes is a little to make a big differance when positioned right. but ...I think those guys needed a bigger forklift..or more weight blocks. and yes it's positioned rong causing the issue, probably just to make the vid to post...or there just morons.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    I imagine there are a lot of "been there, done that", stories. Here's one from forty odd years ago. They were launching this boat over a wall, so the crane couldn't get any closer to the water
    People used as forklift counterweight - GIF-crane-counterweight.jpgPeople used as forklift counterweight - GIF-harmony-11.jpg

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Places "jumping ship" into a whole new paramater. very lucky indeed.

OHS, Whs & all those other safety authorities would have nightmares.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information