Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Perfect controlled demolition of twin chimneys - video

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Run Forest Run

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 9, 2018)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Re silos, i grew up on a farm and we were always getting in the silo to get the last of the barley out or clean out any moulded stuff at the bottom. working on the rigs we were made very aware of H2S gas (Hydrogen Sulphide) or rotten egg gas. In its lowest concentration you could smell something like rotten eggs, unfortunately at higher concentrations you would not be able to smell it at all as it would have destroyed your sense of smell - shortly followed by death. water tanks, confined spaces and even rusty steel oil drums can have H2S present. Rusty steel gasses as it decays gents, stale air is where this beast lives. We engineers should all be aware of this silent killer. There was an incident in the UK where a father and two sons died working at sea. The father had entered a confined space and was overcome, his son had not seen him for a while and went looking for him, he climbed into the space to rescue his father and was overcome also. His other son concerned for his father and brother went to find them both, on discovering them he raised the alarm and then climbed into the space to try and rescue them, he later died from the effects of the gas in hospital. There is a very good reason we are scared of dark places as a child. If you enter a space which has not been ventilated for some time or open a container where the air has been left stagnant for some time then please be aware of the risks. If you have ever worked on rusty metal and smelt something that smelt like rotten eggs - that was it, so you know.

2000 Tool Plans
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 9, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Dec 9, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    Cheers Jon
    I was going to mention Fred - he is an absolute hero of mine.

If you are interested in Victorian Engineering, he is a man well worth researching, If he wasn't repairing or felling chimneys he was building steam traction engines. he even sunk a brick mine shaft in his garden. He built a steam lift so he could get in and out like those seen in coal mines.
    Fascinating
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Re silos, i grew up on a farm and we were always getting in the silo to get the last of the barley out or clean out any moulded stuff at the bottom. working on the rigs we were made very aware of H2S gas (Hydrogen Sulphide) or rotten egg gas. In its lowest concentration you could smell something like rotten eggs, unfortunately at higher concentrations you would not be able to smell it at all as it would have destroyed your sense of smell - shortly followed by death. water tanks, confined spaces and even rusty steel oil drums can have H2S present. Rusty steel gasses as it decays gents, stale air is where this beast lives. We engineers should all be aware of this silent killer. There was an incident in the UK where a father and two sons died working at sea. The father had entered a confined space and was overcome, his son had not seen him for a while and went looking for him, he climbed into the space to rescue his father and was overcome also. His other son concerned for his father and brother went to find them both, on discovering them he raised the alarm and then climbed into the space to try and rescue them, he later died from the effects of the gas in hospital. There is a very good reason we are scared of dark places as a child. If you enter a space which has not been ventilated for some time or open a container where the air has been left stagnant for some time then please be aware of the risks. If you have ever worked on rusty metal and smelt something that smelt like rotten eggs - that was it, so you know.
    One day a dozen ambulances showed up at the scrap yard across from where I used to live some of the guys were cutting up some huge steel tanks when 1 of the workers was overcome, Just by accident the foreman just happened to notice the guy go down for no apparent reason. He started out to the guy and had only made it a few feet before he saw another worker start to slump in his tracks. The foreman radioed the office and an alarm started going off. From my place across the street I cold see through the 60 ft wide open gate that something was going on. The loud alarm and lots of guys running towards the gate. 2 guys bravely drug the 2 fallen men out as they ran by. A few minutes later there were ambulances the Fire department the local police and the Sheriffs department there.
    No one died but several were hauled off in the ambulances others were checked out. The health department people came around to my place and the other businesses near by. Turns out they had crushed a large pressurized liquid chlorine tank that no one knew was there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Dec 9, 2018), PJs (Dec 9, 2018)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    wow, Chlorine is nasty stuff. To think our local water company puts it in our drinking water. our water has between 1.6 and 2 parts per million which is what the EU deem safe. our water used to be supplied through cast iron pipes, the chlorine was pumped in at a stronger dose as cast iron pipes had a tendency of absorbing it, someone needs to tell the idiots in the water authority they have replaced the old pipes for plastic now - as a result our water is unpalatable.

Its something like, if 1/2 pint was discharged from a tanker it has the potential of killing everyone in a 1/2 mile radius, seeing them things on the motorway gives me the creeps (as do nuclear flasks, just saying).

I watch our local scrap yard drilling holes in calor/propane gas canisters, pure madness, to be fair they are now starting to use a hydraulic spike, but still mental.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 9, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    wow, Chlorine is nasty stuff. To think our local water company puts it in our drinking water. our water has between 1.6 and 2 parts per million which is what the EU deem safe. our water used to be supplied through cast iron pipes, the chlorine was pumped in at a stronger dose as cast iron pipes had a tendency of absorbing it, someone needs to tell the idiots in the water authority they have replaced the old pipes for plastic now - as a result our water is unpalatable.

Its something like, if 1/2 pint was discharged from a tanker it has the potential of killing everyone in a 1/2 mile radius, seeing them things on the motorway gives me the creeps (as do nuclear flasks, just saying).

I watch our local scrap yard drilling holes in calor/propane gas canisters, pure madness, to be fair they are now starting to use a hydraulic spike, but still mental.
    An old couple who now 1 of them has passed away and the other in in a nursing home heard somewhere that the way to preserve water for long term storage was to put bleach in it . Probably some misguided survivalist ramblings on the internet was where they found their information. While it is regular practice for water treatment facilities to use various chemicals in the purification of water clorine being 1 of those. These are done supposedly under a controlled environment Just like putting Iodine in water to kill the pathogens. or certain salts to soften the water. you don't just wake up 1 morning and decide to pour a few ounces of Clorox in your coffee pot to make coffee with.
    A friend of mine and his wife had the task of cleaning out the old couple's house they found 61 gallons of water in galon milk jugs stored under the bed. He asked me what to do with it.
    I thought to my self you had to call me to ask what to do with 61 dusty gallon jugs of water Oh well.
    Pour it down the drain I said then recycle the empty jugs.
    But the jugs have dates on them and a note that there is half a cup of bleach in them.
    So whet. it is only good for flushing to commode.
    Then he said his wife wanted him to load it up and bring it to me.
    OK fine then I'll pour it out and recycle the jugs.
    In the end when he went to pick up the jugs some of them ruptured leaving them with a wet carpet to clean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Guy takes down a chimney with a handheld power hammer. Don't worry folks, he's wearing a hardhat. 0:53 video:

The video description is a gem:
    What an IDIOT!!!

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    There is a video of Fred Dibnah bring down a chimney with a fire. A lot of the base removed and shored with wood then a fire built and the wood supports burn away and down she come.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,617 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Just when you thought we had reached maximum chimney demolition danger. 1st GIF for context; 2nd GIF for utter disbelief. Click each GIF to play, with sound.

I will say that I do like the breaking hammer sling/support in the first GIF. As long as you're not supporting it on something you're demo'ing!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 12, 2018), EnginePaul (Dec 11, 2018), MeJasonT (Dec 12, 2018), PJs (Dec 12, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 11, 2018), that_other_guy (Jan 13, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    This has got to be fake Jon - he's not in flip-flops

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 12, 2018)

Thread Information