Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Permanently Marking PVC Pipe

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Rick, I bounced around with this on the net and the way back machine this morning. Most PVC pipe are ink jet printed I believe during the manufacturing...although they may use a roller method too because it's repetitive lettering.

The main etchant/solvent in the Oatey stuff is Tetrahydrofuran, but I think the bleed problem you are having is from the Acetone in it. Here is the MSDS of the Oatey stuff.

Most PVC is screen printed nowadays with ink but its way pricey. I used industrial ink jets on my DM's and was amazed by what that stuff sticks to and through coolant and UV/heat resistantant...again Pricey. Here is an ink I found.

There was a Mastic product I used years ago air brushing bike tanks...came in a bottle you could brush on any area, shape or size, and they had 8.5 x 11 sheets too...kind of like a sticky backs but can't remember the name of it or find it on the web. I got it at a local art supply store, and as I remember at an auto paint supply too. I know it's still out there because it was goooood stuff and worked with all kinds of paints and thinners....including acetone.

Then I got to thinking about Cell phone screen protectors...the old ones were adhesive and can get them pretty cheap. Maybe a Galaxy note size. One off though and cost will accumulate.

The sticky back Idea would mean cutting out a place for your vinyl stencils (which seem to work Pretty Good) but it wouldn't have the corner/edge bleed problem and if you can get it in rolls or sheet you can make multiples...which begs the questions. Can you find blank sheets of the vinyl stencil material?

All the same size pipe?

A good challenge Rick, Thanks. ~PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Rick! We've added your PVC Marking Method to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: Rick Sparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Oh no! Not the dreaded "Miscellaneous" category ;-)

Rick
    Rick

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 10, 2016)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    PJ,

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed email. I really like the idea of a reusable vinyl frame. I expect that there will be a wide range of pipe sizes although I am using a lot of 1/2" PVC right now. Furthermore , I expect that labels will use a variable number of characters.

I just finished labeling my 6 irrigation zones. Didn't use any frame because it don't be seen by anyone but me. Came out great. Rick
    Rick

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2016), PJs (Aug 10, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Rick,

I think we all have something relegated to the infamous "Miscellaneous" category. It is just floating out there in an Internet ocean gyre of "stuff".

Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 10, 2016)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,617 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Agreed on Miscellaneous. Let me know suggestions if you have any. It might be time to audit it manually and create a few new categories from it. We'll probably never be able to eliminate it, but we can sort it periodically.

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    PJ,

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed email. I really like the idea of a reusable vinyl frame. I expect that there will be a wide range of pipe sizes although I am using a lot of 1/2" PVC right now. Furthermore , I expect that labels will use a variable number of characters.

I just finished labeling my 6 irrigation zones. Didn't use any frame because it don't be seen by anyone but me. Came out great. Rick
    My fun & pleasure! I was wondering if it really mattered how they looked, but I think some of us still appreciate clean lines & symmetry to our work, whether anyone sees it or not. It's still fascinating to me that the vinyl stencils and its adhesive holds up to the Oatey...I just love a good mystery and challenge.

Had another thought yesterday...Lots of vinyl stickers being printed out there now days. Did the artwork for several, for a client awhile back and had them done through PSPrint (my usual online people). IIRC the order was for a 500 each "die cut vinyl, 4/0 color" for a couple hundred duckets standard Die. You would need a double cut out square/rectangle in a couple of sizes I think but a simple die and might cost ~$100 if they didn't have one. Vista Print does them too for less but have had grief with them in the past. If you are interested and not too expensive. Come up with a size(s) and I would be happy to do the print ready artwork for you. Single color would be cheaper too and might be able to get a couple of uses from them before the adhesive died.

If you can find the blank sheets, I know you could whittle up your own die cutter!

Perhaps rather being relegated to the dreaded "vortex" (thanks Paul) of the Misc. Bin, it could be in "measuring and marking" and or "painting"...just thoughts.

~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    PJ,

My mind flips between modes. Sometimes the project has to look perfect and I will spend a lot of time getting an accuracy far beyond what is actually needed. Other times, I'm in the "git 'er done" camp. When it comes to irrigation pipes that only I will see after the mud is wiped off, neat lines just aren't worth the extra effort.

I will look for sheets of vinyl in order to make various size frames.

One trick I learned is to remove the vinyl character as soon as possible after the primer stops flowing. Left there too long, it will start to attach the vinyl.

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 12, 2016)

Thread Information