Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Pocket tools

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Pocket tools

Over the years I've made several pocket gages that are handy to carry on shopping outings where one doesn't need a full complement of measuring equipment. The one on the bottom is a copy of a classic lumber gage. Dangled from the forefinger, one snaps it over the edge of a board and reads the thickness directly.

Upper right is a simple gage for surplus screw buying. It has tapped holes for all the common sizes that appear, unmarked, in some of the liquidators I frequent. It's about the size of a quarter so fits easily in my change pocket.

Upper left is a handy bolt sizer made by milling an N x N slot where N is every endmill size from 1/16 to 1/2. The more I carry it the more uses I find for it.

At the very top is a magnetic pick-up stick. It's there to remind you to carry one every time you shop Home Depot or Lowes type stores for "brass" hardware or "copper" wire. You'll be surprised at how many of the aforementioned stick to the magnet.

Resist the urge to glue a magnet to one of these tools lest it magnetize stuff in your pockets that shouldn't be magnetized. It may be OK but I would want to keep my smart car key away from magnets.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 2, 2017 at 11:01 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 17, 2019), billster (Oct 2, 2016), C-Bag (Mar 25, 2016), Charron63 (Nov 30, 2017), davesrepair (Dec 2, 2023), DIYer (Mar 24, 2016), flyfr8rs (Oct 5, 2023), Jon (Mar 24, 2016), kbalch (Mar 25, 2016), lazarus (May 30, 2016), Paul Jones (Mar 25, 2016), philipUsesWood&Brass (Dec 4, 2018), PJs (Mar 29, 2016), rgsparber (Dec 7, 2017), thoms_here (Nov 19, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Pocket Tools to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

Nice collection of gages for our surplus suppliers trips. Making tools like these would be great projects for those starting out in machining. I think I could use the clip-on magnet for checking for surplus stainless steel stock (some SS are magnetic but not the alloys I need).

Thanks for posting, Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 25, 2016 at 08:53 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 29, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    great ideas Marv! I'd buy plans for those!

Around here I don't have surplus stores but there is always some jar full of interesting screws and bolts in the estate and garage sales we go to. I can't always tell from a glance whether they are useful or not. Having some gauges like yours would be so handy in those cases.

At first I thought you were talking about small pocket sized hand tools. When I was working in the field I always carried a Leatherman micro on my key chain, still do. Another thing that was surprisingly handy was the old GM C3/C4 test key that you'd stick into the com port in the 80's and 90's GM cars to put it into self diagnostic mode. Long after I quite working on those horrid contraptions I kept that on my key ring and it got me out of all kinds of situations like making a jumper into a female 12v socket for testing continuity etc. My favorite by far though was my tiny Snap-on pliers. They are old, probably from the late 70's and incredibly tough. Used them on everything from emergency wrench on nuts and bolts, fishing out small items, grabbing hot things to pulling out slivers. People would laugh when I'd pull them out of my pocket until the used them. Unfortunately they really don't make them like they used to. And Leatherman pliers don't even come close. The new Snap-on version is soft and junk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 25, 2016), PJs (Mar 29, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    If you encounter an unplanned-for shopping situation and don't have even your pocket gages with you, it's handy to memorize some measurements associated with material you may always have in your pockets.

A US penny is exactly 0.75" in diameter.

The US dollar bill is nominally 2.5 x 6". These dimensions are not held rigidly as is the case with the penny but are close enough for most purposes. With judicious folding one can construct impromptu "gages" of a number of different sizes. The diagonal of the bill is 6.5".

The typical business card is 2 x 3.5". Of course, there are bigger cards but most of us will have, due to years of exposure, a good "feel" for the typical size. Again, folding will produce other useful sizes.

Memorizing sizes of things you always have on your person is a good idea. The diameter of a wedding ring or the length of a pocket knife blade are typical examples.

While shopping, you may encounter metric sizes and, lacking a calculator, need to determine their inferial size mentally. I keep in mind that a millimeter is about 40 thousandths. Thus,

10 mm (1 cm) = 0.4"
    30 mm = 1.2"
    300 mm = 12" = 1 ft
    etc.

Going the other way (metric to inferial) is as easy as dividing by 4 and multiplying by 100, which is, of course, the same as dividing by 0.040.

12"/4 = 3
    3*100 = 300 mm

Finally, not nearly as useful for shopping, but possibly useful in the shop, is the fact that a US nickle weighs five grams. Easy to remember - five cents and five grams. An ounce (avdp) is 28.3 grams so six nickels is fairly close.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Mar 29, 2016), lazarus (May 30, 2016), Paul Jones (Apr 1, 2016), philipUsesWood&Brass (Dec 4, 2018), PJs (Mar 29, 2016)

Thanks
    Hi Marv,

Very clever and useful! Your Pocket Tools are the 'Tool of the Week'!

As you've already received one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts, we'd be glad to award you a $25 online gift card.

Just let me have your email address via PM and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    And that's a 3-time Tool of the Week award!

mklotz joins eight other 3-Time Tool of the Week winners listed on our HomemadeTools.net Award Winners page: Brendon, Christophe Mineau, immortalx, mr95gst, Paul Jones, rossbotics, scorch, and Vyacheslav.Nevolya.

Here are all three of mklotz's winning tools:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

Looks like you may have an opportunity to use Kickstarter to help you market and sell your pocket tool ideas. I recently saw a series of pocket tools that Kickstarter help to launch. See the designs selling at Yanko Designs A Family of Card-Sized Tools | Yanko Design . Your tool styles would extend the functionalities available and your could further extend the line of tools.

Thank you for sharing your designs.

Regards, Paul

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Interesting! You could link to your Kickstarter page in your forum signature too, so you would get additional traffic to it.

I would buy one. You could do very well. Kickstarter is a mixed bag of genuinely clever stuff, gimmicky garbage, and neat ideas plagued by manufacturing challenges (I've been waiting YEARS on my Cole-Bar hammer!).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 30, 2016)

Thread Information