Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Police car traffic stop ends in grass fire - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

Police car traffic stop ends in grass fire - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Nov 17, 2019), Midwestern640 (Nov 16, 2019), Miloslav (Nov 16, 2019), shopandmath (Nov 15, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Defective equipment as in a fire extinguisher malfunctioning. Would have indicated a proper pre patrol check of his vehicle was not preformed. These failures are usually by inexperienced officers or officers who have become complacent in their duties.
    Since we do not know what the posted speed limited was on the highway this could have been simply a less than 10 MPH driving over the posted traffic stop. If the posted was say 65 then this would have constituted a careless and reckless stop. In either case administering a pullover in high dry grass is never recommended a more prudent activity would be to PA the driver explaining for him to continue on until a safe pullover location could be established. Obviously if it were suspected the driver may be inebriated, under the influence or having a medical condition getting them to stop at first opportunity is best.
    In the video it appeared that once the patrolman reversed his vehicle away from the fire the first time a second fire was started from under his vehicle. He was screwed at that point no matter what he could have done short of reversing onto the road way surface and stopping in a lane of traffic the number 1 no-no to be avoided at all reasonable costs. Even had he done so the fire was still going to spread While it was contained in a very small area he probably could have kicked it out and only gotten his shoes and uniform a little soiled, but his hot exhaust was still going to ignite secondary fires anywhere he could have parked in the dry grass.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    It is possible that if he'd extinguished the first fire, then pulled forward into the charred area, then extinguished the second fire, he might have saved the car. I've fought grass fires in New Mexico, and when you're using vehicles, you want to park them where the fuel is already spent... I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how many folks would rather park in dry grass than on scorched ground.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IAMSatisfied For This Useful Post:

jimfols (Nov 16, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMSatisfied View Post
    It is possible that if he'd extinguished the first fire, then pulled forward into the charred area, then extinguished the second fire, he might have saved the car. I've fought grass fires in New Mexico, and when you're using vehicles, you want to park them where the fuel is already spent... I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how many folks would rather park in dry grass than on scorched ground.
    Many people are the same way with fires as wild animals are the only thing they know is to flee or stand there and burn to death.
    But you are correct scorched earth means the fuel load is gone.
    My wife constantly gets onto me for purposely scorching away the short dry grass where I may need to do some welding before I start. What I have a problem convincing her of is if I burn it while I am watching it I don't have to worry about it burning while I have my hood on and cannot see it. She thinks I should just wet the area down so it wont burn but dry tender doesn't work that way you can soak some weeds in water and a few minutes later they will burn as if they had never been wet
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 14, 2019 at 08:25 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

IAMSatisfied (Nov 14, 2019)

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    and this guy has a gun
    how meany times has he shot him self

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shopandmath For This Useful Post:

jimfols (Nov 16, 2019)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    The one year it was dry, so the b'stards didn't coat the roads in the area with mud, this happened: https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/st...e-at-boomtown/ Claimed to be a cigarette, but more likely a scorching hot catalytic converter. https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...act=mrc&uact=8
    Last edited by NeiljohnUK; Nov 15, 2019 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Many people are the same way with fires as wild animals are the only thing they know is to flee or stand there and burn to death.
    But you are correct scorched earth means the fuel load is gone.
    My wife constantly gets onto me for purposely scorching away the short dry grass where I may need to do some welding before I start. What I have a problem convincing her of is if I burn it while I am watching it I don't have to worry about it burning while I have my hood on and cannot see it. She thinks I should just wet the area down so it wont burn but dry tender doesn't work that way you can soak some weeds in water and a few minutes later they will burn as if they had never been wet
    Not to mention that wet ground is conductive and if you somehow become the conductor between the ground and stinger it`s a rather unpleasant jolt. Personal experience...

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    I wonder if this police officer got the same citation a civilian would have gotten for inadvertently/carelessly starting a grass fire? It'd be interesting to know what ramifications he received back at the precinct... reprimands, nicknames (Smokey Bear comes to mind), etc.

Thanks
    Dash cam at start shows 93 mph

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Miloslav View Post
    Dash cam at start shows 93 mph
    Yes but for all we know the posted limit could have been 80 or more which would fall within the realm of a routine excessive speed pull over.

Thread Information