Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Portable Adjustable Heater

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools

Portable Adjustable Heater

Its still winter up here and a little adjustable portable heater is still useful in my unheated shops. Here is a little project I did many years ago, when my Father passed, I got to clean out his shop materials, one was an old car interior warmer, it no longer had a mounting frame but worked fine. I decided to make up a frame for general use around the house and shops.

Up here, this has become very useful. The angle of heat is adjustable through 90*, pointing to the floor to almost directly upwards. The rubber feet are widely stanced for stability at any angle and the frame is made from one piece of light channel, marked out, cut, drilled and bent to shape.

Its not a tool but through the cold winter months it is one of the most used items in the unheated shops. On a really cold day I can set it up under my tractor blower for a couple of hours for an easy start, comes in handy to keep my feet and legs warm when doing blower repairs or on the bench to keep my hands warm when doing a bench job.

Portable Adjustable Heater-011.jpg

Portable Adjustable Heater-heater-4.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    From a popular rap: "If time is money then I need a loan."
    Carlos B,http://hobbyworkshopprojects.blogspot.com

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Since it was a car heater I assume it's 12V, did you add a power supply to the back of it that's not visible?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Since it was a car heater I assume it's 12V, did you add a power supply to the back of it that's not visible?
    I guess your looking for correct terms, up here a interior warmer is also called a car heater, since when you refer to one it is assumed you are NOT referring to the built in climate control. But since there is a picture of it it is clear it is an interior warmer not a torn out part of a vehicles climate control. It must be warm year around where you live .

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos B View Post
    I guess your looking for correct terms, up here a interior warmer is also called a car heater, since when you refer to one it is assumed you are NOT referring to the built in climate control. But since there is a picture of it it is clear it is an interior warmer not a torn out part of a vehicles climate control. It must be warm year around where you live .
    I had one something like that with a cigarette lighter plug for use in cars with weak or broken heaters. That's what I assumed this was, didn't know they came with mains power.

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    I had one something like that with a cigarette lighter plug for use in cars with weak or broken heaters. That's what I assumed this was, didn't know they came with mains power.
    Haven't seen one of those before, but I guess if a problem crops up and you look hard enough, there is someone selling a solution somewhere, .

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Carlos B! We've added your Portable Heater to our Heating and Cooling category,
    as well as to your builder page: Carlos B's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

baja's Tools
    That looks like the one I have. It was a Buick aftermarket accessory from the early 70`s that mounted under the seat and plugged into 120v to heat up the interior on cold mornings before the heater warmed up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information