Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pouring a concrete roof - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by silverback prime View Post
    Hi Nova, That roof material sounds like foamed gypsum. I came across it in the late 70s , it was being used for both walls and roof. We had a chunk that was broken off by a lift truck, and used to toss it to a newbie ,he'd catch it thinking it weighed 20 lbs and just about hit himself in the head . It weighed about 2 lbs. Good times.😁
    Foamed gypsum, yeah I remember that stuff. There was a company in SoCal that made faux boulders out of that and wire mesh, a rock the size of a piano might weigh 70 lbs they were hollow as well. I picked up a load of them to deliver to a place near lake Taho. I hefted a real stone that weighed about 50 lbs and handed it to the guy helping me. Here you take this one I'll get that one over there. When he saw me hoist it above my head and rest it on my shoulder like Charles Atlas I thought he was going to loose his mind.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    In the video, the rebar is laying directly on the foam-board... you want rebar to be at least a couple of inches or so from any surface of a pour for decent strength. Perhaps the workers will lift the rebar mat once they have enough concrete down... I've worked on slabs where this is practiced. It appears that this roof will be poured about 4" thick based on the "skylight" hole on the far right of the roof... if correct, that would be around 50 PSF static load... you need some decent roof framing for that. Tile roofs are often designed for a dead load of 15 PSF.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverback prime View Post
    Hi Nova, That roof material sounds like foamed gypsum. I came across it in the late 70s , it was being used for both walls and roof. We had a chunk that was broken off by a lift truck, and used to toss it to a newbie ,he'd catch it thinking it weighed 20 lbs and just about hit himself in the head . It weighed about 2 lbs. Good times.
    Classic, we used to do that with plastic display car battery, worked every time.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information