Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Propane Cart from Handtruck

Thanks

Chips O'Tool's Tools

Propane Cart from Handtruck

Propane is taking over as a cutting gas, but when I looked for an oxy-propane cart, I found nearly nothing available. Carts for acetylene generally won't work. I decided to make my own cart.

I bought a cheap handtruck. I had a big piece of plate lying around, so I cut the handtruck's platform off and replaced it with the larger plate. I bent some strips of 1" x 1/8" bar and welded them to the cart at appropriate heights. I put some tabs on the new platform to keep tanks from scooting around. I made attachment points for chains, and I attached them to the brackets. Then I painted the parts that had been stripped, using truck bed coating.

It's hard to see in the photo, but there is a bracket on the propane tank. There is no chain in the photo.

I didn't like the pneumatic wheels, because pneumatics are always flat when you need to use them. I bought two solid wheels at Harbor Freight. They needed some additional offset, so I made two steel spacers on the lathe.

The cart works fine, and the cost was well under a hundred bucks.

Propane Cart from Handtruck-09-18-20-propane-cart-04-new-base-plate-small.jpg

Propane Cart from Handtruck-09-18-20-propane-cart-05-standing-new-base-attached-small.jpg

Propane Cart from Handtruck-09-21-20-propane-cart-13-wheel-spacers-cart-small.jpg

Propane Cart from Handtruck-10-29-20-propane-cart-14-complete.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Chips O'Tool; Nov 17, 2020 at 04:24 PM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Chips O'Tool! We've added your Propane Cart to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Chips O'Tool's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Chips O'Tool (Nov 19, 2020)

Thread Information