Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Propeller actuation - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts

Propeller actuation - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Nov 7, 2019), hansgoudzwaard (Nov 6, 2019), jimfols (Nov 6, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Nov 6, 2019), MIGuy (Nov 6, 2019), Miloslav (Nov 6, 2019), Rangi (Nov 8, 2019), Scotty12 (Nov 9, 2019), Seedtick (Nov 12, 2019)

Thanks
    What a beast of a prop!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    the prop and pod look suspiciously like those used on large hover craft
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Actually, looking at it again, it is mounted on an airplane, something with a "T" tail. Can't see the length of the propeller blades, maybe it's some kind of turboprop point to point carrier plane?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MIGuy View Post
    Actually, looking at it again, it is mounted on an airplane, something with a "T" tail. Can't see the length of the propeller blades, maybe it's some kind of turboprop point to point carrier plane?
    Yep I saw the wing and part of the tail this time but it still resembles those used on hover craft except the intake of the pod is on the bottom instead of the top

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    The ground attack bomber my dad flew in in WWII was the forgotten Lockheed PV1 Ventura and one of its' significant features was the installation of full feathering three bladed props like that one. He told a story about a challenge that developed between his aircrew and a group of P51 pilots over fighting superiority of their respective aircraft and they agreed to stage a mock battle and see who could get who in their gun cameras. He said on the first attack as the 51s were descending at them his pilot put it into a steep dive to gain airspeed, then as they were about to be overtaken he turned the props fully flat and the plane almost stopped midair causing the 51s to overtake so rapidly that they couldn't aim in time and he then resumed normal thrust and they got 3 of the 4 in their first pass and the remaining one the same way in the next pass. He said full feathering those big props was like putting a couple of 10' diameter plywood discs into the airstream.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    The ground attack bomber my dad flew in in WWII was the forgotten Lockheed PV1 Ventura and one of its' significant features was the installation of full feathering three bladed props like that one. He told a story about a challenge that developed between his aircrew and a group of P51 pilots over fighting superiority of their respective aircraft and they agreed to stage a mock battle and see who could get who in their gun cameras. He said on the first attack as the 51s were descending at them his pilot put it into a steep dive to gain airspeed, then as they were about to be overtaken he turned the props fully flat and the plane almost stopped midair causing the 51s to overtake so rapidly that they couldn't aim in time and he then resumed normal thrust and they got 3 of the 4 in their first pass and the remaining one the same way in the next pass. He said full feathering those big props was like putting a couple of 10' diameter plywood discs into the airstream.
    I heard a plane flying over when I was a teenager just after I had gotten my license to drive my Grandpas old Mack truck, I was telling a friend about how you had to double clutch to shift it when suddenly we hear the pitch of the props change but they made a double sound as they did so I said see there even pilots have to double clutch to change gears

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Heh heh- I've heard that before in ground run ups when a pilot checked out his equipment and I've had the same thought because it does sound like double clutching.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I seem to remember my father saying his C-47 (he owned one with a couple of other guys) had feathering props.

Thanks
    I hope so.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information