Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Punt guns - enormous old shotguns for hunting waterfowl

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts

Punt guns - enormous old shotguns for hunting waterfowl

A punt gun is a huge shotgun for hunting large numbers of waterfowl. Though popular in the 19th and 20th centuries, the use of a punt gun for hunting is now considered "market hunting". Because it too quickly depletes stocks of wild waterfowl, it's largely forbidden.

Punt gun bores could exceed 2 inches, and they could fire over a pound of shot at a time. They were called punt guns because, too big to fire held in hand, they were mounted to small hunting skiffs (called "punts"). Hunters using punt guns would often work in groups, quietly maneuvering their boats in range of a flock of birds, and then all firing their punt guns at once.

Nowadays, punt guns are still used in ceremonies or owned by collectors.

In addition, the punt gun is a good choice when performing the age-old tradition of cleaning your gun when your daughter brings her new boyfriend over.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

cognitdiss (May 16, 2022), dubbby (May 20, 2020), Frank S (Nov 5, 2018), gunsgt1863 (Jan 27, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Nov 5, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Nov 6, 2018), ranald (Nov 7, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    Found a restoration of Irish Tom, the world's largest punt gun. I believe it's one of the ones pictured above, but I'm not sure which one.

Full PDF: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...estoration.pdf

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 5, 2023), dubbby (May 20, 2020), PJs (Nov 6, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 5, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Now all we need would be a pump action 2" bore punt gun ribbed barrel of course
    Maybe I need to make one with a short??? barrel for when someone I don't want in my house comes over LOL
    There is nothing like the look on someones face when they're staring down the barrel of a sawed off pump punt when you jack the action.
    An uncle of mine used to have a bell mouth 2 ga blunder buss that had that effect as well
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    James Michener provides an excellent description of the use of a punt gun in his book "Chesapeke."

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xat View Post
    James Michener provides an excellent description of the use of a punt gun in his book "Chesapeke."
    Yep read that one but a very long time ago

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Not very sporting, if you are a fowl. May be, the same demise will oneday hit the longliners.

Imagine the kickback that monster would have: almost push the firer through the transom. Somehow there would be a "wake" after firing the beast. Very glassy water in that shot.

I reckon Wes Harrison could have incorporated that one in his "The Great Duck Hunt" =very funny/talented guy. LOL
    Last edited by ranald; Nov 7, 2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    I met one of the last punt gunners who shot on Langstone harbour, he would be useful today with the huge flocks of non-native Canada geese doing immense damage to the area. There's no felt recoil, the gun sits low with the butt's kicked down shape sitting in a reinforced pocket against a cross beam in the bottom of the punt, which is driven backwards by the recoil. The gunner would also have a 10 or 12 bore loaded ready to go as a 'cripple stopper' for dealing with injured birds that managed to take flight.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Now all we need would be a pump action 2" bore punt gun ribbed barrel of course
    Maybe I need to make one with a short??? barrel for when someone I don't want in my house comes over LOL
    There is nothing like the look on someones face when they're staring down the barrel of a sawed off pump punt when you jack the action.
    An uncle of mine used to have a bell mouth 2 ga blunder buss that had that effect as well
    I be prepared to punt you wouldn't have repeat visitors. LOL

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    I be prepared to punt you wouldn't have repeat visitors. LOL
    Maybe I would need to make it an over under 5 shot model 870 action in 2inch bore with a single shot .410 on top, load the .410 with medium grain rock salt. when you have to fire the first shot at them say that is the teaser, This is the most powerful Shot gun in the world and can make a hole big enough to drive through, the next round will be a full pound and it might be ball bearings instead of salt or it may contain half a million tiny cactus needles or a water balloon or a paint ball. I have 4 rounds in the tube and 1 in the chamber, when I loaded it last week I don't remember which round I put in last. Do you feel lucky.
    Last edited by Frank S; Apr 13, 2019 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Maybe I would need to make it an over under 5 shot model 870 action in 2inch bore with a single shot .410 on top, load the .410 with medium grain rock salt. when you have to fire the first shot at them say that is the teaser, This is the most powerful Shot gun in the world and can make a hole big enough to drive through, the next round will be a full pound and it might be ball bearings instead of salt or it may contain half a million tiny cactus needles or a water balloon or a paint ball. I have 4 rounds in the tube and 1 in the chamber, when I loaded it last week I don't remember which round I put in last. Do you feel lucky.
    Yeah Punk!LOL. Very salty!
    The name suggests a flat nosed vessel(punt) but I suspect It means a really BIG gamble. Ha Ha.
    P.s. I haven't shot a weapon (with gunpowder) for a few decades.

Thread Information