Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post

Supporting Member mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Thanks

mattthemuppet's Tools

QCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post

First post on here

I bought this post a while back with a couple of turning holders, a 3/8 boring bar holder and a parting holder. Although super handy, I often have to swap tools out of holders which defeats the purpose of the QCTP. I got hold of a 2x1x6in piece of mystery steel and started turning it into tool holders.

Not many pics, but I roughed the slot for the dovetail first, then cut the dovetail (had to make a new carbide insert dovetail cutter first). I then cut off 1in blanks from both ends, faced the ends and the new blanks, then kept cutting.

After that it was a simple (!) case of cutting slots, drilling and tapping holes. I made the adjuster knobs out of 1/2 in alu rod that I cut grooves in with a ball end mill using my hex ER25 collet chuck. The finishes on the holders aren't great, but all the milling work was done (very very slowly) on a drill press with XY vise and collet chuck. These took a VERY long time and cost me 3 end mills. Next ones will be made out of alu

QCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5069.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5070.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5071.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5167.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5168.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5169.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5170.jpg

once I get the next lot done, I'll have all the tools I use in holders and the plans to make more if I need them.

thanks for looking!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattthemuppet For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 2, 2016), Paul Jones (Aug 2, 2016), PJs (Aug 3, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    mattthemuppet,

Great first time post and lots of photos for us to look at. This project is very encouraging for those who do not own or have access to a milling machine. I like the fact you did the machining with a drill press and only the XY vise and collet chuck. I am looking forward to seeing more projects from your lathe now that you have expanded your tool holder collection.

Regards, Paul Jones

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

mattthemuppet (Aug 3, 2016), PJs (Aug 3, 2016)

Thanks

mattthemuppet's Tools
    thanks Paul, that's very kind! Although I desperately want a milling machine the DP lets me do a lot of stuff I otherwise wouldn't be able to do. I spent a lot of time reworking the HF XY vise, which helps a lot, and added a treadmill motor+rpm sensor to the DP, which made a huge difference. I can't tell you how pumped I am to have those extra tool holders, can't wait to finish the rest!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattthemuppet For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 2, 2016), PJs (Aug 3, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Well Done, Mattthemuppet! Love that old Walker DP and that you took on the HFT XY table reboot for your shop. That treadmill mod is something I've wanted to do since I saw Cap'n Leeward do it to his. Would love to see the carbide dovetail cutter you made. Great use of what you had to get it done. Way Handy. Thanks for the great first post and inspirations! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

mattthemuppet (Aug 3, 2016), Paul Jones (Aug 3, 2016)

Thanks

mattthemuppet's Tools
    thanks PJ, here it is:

QCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_4996.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_4997.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5015.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5060.jpgQCTP holders for a Phase 2 0XA tool post-img_5061.jpg

I also added pics of a couple of other useful attachments I made, although these were done with an O1 cutter. That worked ok in aluminium but died a very quick death in steel! The DTI holder has had alot of use, the cross drilling holder none yet, but I'm sure it'll be super useful for that rare job that needs it.

The XY vise still isn't great - the moving jaw lifts and it gets very tight at both extremes of the Y travel, but it's better than what it was. The thrust and roller bearings plus the brass jibs help a lot. I'll have to post up the treadmill mod when I get a moment, it's really transformative even just for drilling holes. Going from 250rpm for a countersink to 1500rpm for a small drill is just a twist of the dial.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattthemuppet For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 3, 2016), Paul Jones (Aug 3, 2016), PJs (Aug 3, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks for the Pics. Excellent idea for the cutter and pretty simple to make. Did you use TCMT inserts for it? I get it about the XY vice. Usually the gibs are made from beer cans and never straight or flat. Interesting that you put thrust and rollers on it. I would imagine it's at least 80% better than it was. It's a ton of work to get the kinks out of some of that stuff.

Thanks Much and look forward to your next posts. ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 3, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mattthemuppet! We've added your QCTP Holders to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: mattthemuppet's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks mattthemuppet! We've added your Cutter Holder to our Machining category,

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks mattthemuppet! We've added your DTI Holder to our Measuring and Marking category,

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks mattthemuppet! We've added your Cross Drilling Holder to our Lathe Accessories category,

Thread Information