Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Radius or Ball Turning Tool for the Mini Lathe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Radius or Ball Turning Tool for the Mini Lathe

A lot of designs for this type of tool are on the net and I thought this one was good and easy to build.
    The main rotor has a large diameter step of about .250 deep. The base has a recess for this step. I made them fit as close as I could and then did a bit of polishing for a smooth rotation. The flat head hex screw in the bottom is all that holds the rotor on the base. The recess was greased and then assembled with grease and one screw. The screw is set with blue locktite to a snug position. Feels quite smooth in rotation and very snug for good turning. If it ever develops chatter I can always tighten the screw a bit. So far I have only used it once! The part I made is the radiused knob on this tool!

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radius or Ball Turning Tool for the Mini Lathe-dscf0016.jpg   Radius or Ball Turning Tool for the Mini Lathe-dscf0017.jpg   Radius or Ball Turning Tool for the Mini Lathe-dscf0018.jpg   Radius or Ball Turning Tool for the Mini Lathe-dscf0019.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

kboy0076 (Apr 13, 2021), Majaha Mathem (Sep 7, 2016), PJs (Sep 2, 2016), rossbotics (Sep 3, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Radius Turning Tool to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information