Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RC forklift - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 8, 2021), gunsgt1863 (Mar 19, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Mar 18, 2018), PJs (Mar 19, 2018), ranald (Mar 20, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 18, 2018), will52100 (Mar 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    This looks to be part of a much larger miniature tableau - similar to, but larger scale, than Miniatur Wunderland...

Do you have any more information on it?

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    That's all I've got. I initially just found a GIF of it, and tracked it to that video. Interestingly, the GIF is being tossed around the net as just a "forklift operator", and it's difficult to tell that it's a miniature.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 19, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    At 2.48 you can see people walking around watching this was the first real indication it is miniature also in the very beginning you can see people in the background.I just saw a giant walk past the door at 0.04
    Last edited by Frank S; Mar 18, 2018 at 05:45 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    I could tell it was an RC one by the way the rear wheels move, and the quickness of the movements.
    Good filming and really good skills by the person running it. I've run a lot of RC items, and that takes some serious skills do to what he was doing. There really wasn't a single mistake like what typically happens when running RC stuff.
    I also noticed the giant humans in the background in the first secs of the video.
    Pretty amazing setup that they have going on. I'm assuming that most/all of the other vehicles are also RC. It'd be cool to see in person!

Thanks for sharing,
    Kent

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 19, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomsbyKent View Post
    I could tell it was an RC one by the way the rear wheels move, and the quickness of the movements.
    Good filming and really good skills by the person running it. I've run a lot of RC items, and that takes some serious skills do to what he was doing. There really wasn't a single mistake like what typically happens when running RC stuff.
    I also noticed the giant humans in the background in the first secs of the video.
    Pretty amazing setup that they have going on. I'm assuming that most/all of the other vehicles are also RC. It'd be cool to see in person!
    I'm not so sure that it's really radio controlled. As you suggest, the movements are just too precise. Since Linde makes forklifts, I suspect this is a permanent display in their home office. It probably runs all through the working day. No human RC operator could keep up that level of precision for eight hours.

In the Miniatur Wunderland implementation there are sub-surface "wires" that establish pathways that the vehicles can be assigned to follow using their onboard tracking electronics. Perhaps the forklift uses a similar scheme. I do know that the vehicles, when they detect that their batteries are low, will move to a recharging station and plug themselves into it. This suggests to me that the sub-surface wires, beyond acting as a pathway, may be being used for communication between the vehicle and the computers that control the display. Such communication, if I'm right, would provide a lot of flexibility, allowing, for instance, the computers to redirect the vehicle from one pathway to another.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 8, 2021), Jon (Mar 19, 2018)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Thanks
    I thought it was the little plastic man doing the driving. Really disapointed know.
    Really like the videos you must spend hours finding these little gems.
    Great video thank you for posting looking forward to the next one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

ranald (Mar 20, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Aside from everything else the attention to detail is phenomenal. From the small pup trailer unloaded to loaded height as the forklift drives on and off, the flex in the dock plates maching those of the real world. the packaging and printing scale the pallet racking even looks to be assemblies not just molded or printed. The way the forklift has to make a couple of corrective stabs in various places to get situated just right mimicking that of how a human operator would have to do from time to time. About the only aspect I found slightly lagging was the detail of the small dozer on the trailer
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    From the YT site: Event: Model-Hobby-Spiel Fair Leipzig Germany October 2017

We've come a long way since I saw the Miniature village in Holland as a kid ~58'. Automation is cool but Who built all those varied pallets in the warehouse and the pop-up docking plates were definitely cool. The Details are amazing.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Thanks Jon,

Very entertaining! Makes lego look a bit ordinary. Imagine using a fork like that, with the pallet on the front of the tines, & PUSHING the actual load IN REAL LIFE.

LOL. Very enjoyable. Bet they have heaps of fun but then again I had fun(as a child) with dinky & matchbox & later scalelectric.

Ranald

Thread Information