Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Remington Nylon 66 - photos

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,900 Times in 9,939 Posts

Remington Nylon 66 - photos

Introduced in 1959, the Remington Nylon 66 was the first mass-produced polymer firearm. The model name was taken from the polymer of the same name which was used for the production of the stock and receiver.

Previously:

AK-47 built from a shovel - images
    Gatling gun made from SKSs - GIF and video
    Blake rifle with 7-round rotary magazine
    Squib round shoots through magazine of competitive shooter's rifle - GIF and video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 28, 2019), EnginePaul (Apr 28, 2019), Seedtick (Apr 27, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Sweet little gun. Got mine, a Mohawk Brown model, for Christmas in 1962 when I was 13. $49.95 was a lot of money to my parents back then. I cannot imagine how many 1000's of rounds it has burned through the barrel, and no idea how many cans, ground hogs, rabbits, squirrels, rats, pigeons, etc, it has put holes in. It has been out in the rain and snow, heat and cold, never had a misfire or failed to feed a round. Easy to strip down to clean and dry out when you get home.

The only issue I have discovered over the years is the nylon stock is a bit flexible, you can actually flex the stock if you hold it too tight. The barrel is bedded at the one point in the rear and 2 points at the front of the forestock, the flex is not a problem if you use the open sights. Since the rear sight is exactly over the rear barrel mounting point. it still shoots to the point of aim with the forestock flexed. However if you mount a scope on the provided dovetail on the receiver cover, you have to be really careful not to flex the stock as you hold it, since the barrel can move but the scope, mounted on the receiver, does not follow.

This makes it an excellent gun to use to teach someone to properly shoot a rifle.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Apr 28, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,795 Times in 4,212 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A good friend of mine while growing up had one I think What ever it was he had was fitted with what I called a plastic stock while my Stevens savage model 15 had a wood stock my rifle was bolt action single shot but his had a tube feed He could had did burn through several times the amount or rounds as I could which was handy some times trying to hit birds in flight
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    I bought one when I was working at Remington Arms in Ilion, NY in the '60s.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    ... snip... was handy some times trying to hit birds in flight
    The thought of shooting birds in flight with a rifle is a scary thing. Here is hoping you were someplace WAY OUT away from civilization, even then, you never know what is over the horizon.

I was taught by my grandpa to never shoot into the air except with a shotgun. I never shot at a squirrel in tree, unless there was a fat trunk behind him if I missed. It required some stealth and patience, but if I could not get a good safe shot, the squirrel would live to eat more nuts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Apr 28, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,795 Times in 4,212 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    The thought of shooting birds in flight with a rifle is a scary thing. Here is hoping you were someplace WAY OUT away from civilization, even then, you never know what is over the horizon.

I was taught by my grandpa to never shoot into the air except with a shotgun. I never shot at a squirrel in tree, unless there was a fat trunk behind him if I missed. It required some stealth and patience, but if I could not get a good safe shot, the squirrel would live to eat more nuts.
    hemmjo; we grew up in different worlds you and I, Not sure what would have been considered as civilization to you but to us that meant towns, the closest one to us was 8 miles the closest neighbor was 2 miles if you cut across a field. Cities were considered un-civilization as no civilized human would be caught dead living in one.
    us kids were taught that if you couldn't bring down a crow flying over the garden by age 9 with a .22 you had no business with one, except for the .410/.22 my grandpa carried on his tractor or horse every shotgun around our place were loaded with either 00 or slugs. way too much gun for boys under the age of 13 There was 1 double barrel 12 ga and a blunder buss that were usually loaded with rock salt those were kept by the doors the blunder bus by the front door because that was usually where people wearing suits came calling trying to sell something like insurance,
    No one touched my dad's 44-40 or his 30-06 under penalty of the fist

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information