Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Ruler bits

Thanks
    Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Ruler bits

I made this years ago for some long-forgotten project but it's proved useful a few times since then.

Inevitably, there will be situations where you simply can't get a six inch scale 'in there' to measure something. My solution was to cut a scale into a number of pieces of different lengths and make a simple pinch clamp holder for the pieces.

I wasn't doing anything requiring high precision so I used a plastic scale. I suppose one could make a precision version by cutting up a steel scale and using a surface grinder to bring the pieces to size.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 8, 2017 at 03:13 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 30, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Ruler Bits to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks MKLOTZ for posting this. I have a number of six inch scales both plastic and steel. I try to take carful care of them as they are my path to accuracy (such as it is) . As I seem to have a pile of these I feel you gave me permission to "scale down " one of these to fit the job at hand. Brilliant! I guess i just needed a bump! Thanks again, Christopher Newbury, Gentleman Turner

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clarion.peals For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 30, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by clarion.peals View Post
    Thanks MKLOTZ for posting this. I have a number of six inch scales both plastic and steel. I try to take carful care of them as they are my path to accuracy (such as it is) . As I seem to have a pile of these I feel you gave me permission to "scale down " one of these to fit the job at hand. Brilliant! I guess i just needed a bump! Thanks again, Christopher Newbury, Gentleman Turner
    If you want to really go first class, make both ends of the handle capable of carrying a scale bit.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Another bump to the brain! Good idea. Perhaps sized for plastic at one end and metal at the other. Thanks again. C.N.

Thanks
    new to sote and am interested in homemade tools and lathe woodworking

Thanks
    Hi skillet and welcome to the group. This is a place filled with great talent and a few guys like me still catching up. I myself am a wood turner and I do build tools for myself. Mostly because Im cheap and long lasting, unlike tools from the hardware store. I just love making shavings all day. I am trying to popularize bowls with multiple holes, jagged edges, and an oblong shape. Its not catching on so more shavings are needed. How long have you been at it? I would love to share what I know, and I will undoubtedly learn from you. feel free to chat it up any time with me ore some of that great talent i mentioned. Cheers, Clarion.peals AKA Christopher newbury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

I like your ruler bits. Sometime in the 1970's I bought the Starrett S423 set for what seems like not much but never like the ruler bits in 1/64" and 1/32" divisions because I design in decimal inches. I think finding some old 0.01" division scales and cutting these up would be a great addition to the Starrett set. I like your idea of using both ends of the clamp rod. The Starrett has just a one end clamp slot but the slot is at 45 degrees so perhaps adding a slot at a slant at the other end would helpful for getting into tight spots. Thanks for the ideas.

Regards, Paul

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information