Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ homemade tool plans, tool build guides, ebooks, and much more.

User Tag List

Thread: Ruler bits

Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mklotz's Tools

Ruler bits

I made this years ago for some long-forgotten project but it's proved useful a few times since then.

Inevitably, there will be situations where you simply can't get a six inch scale 'in there' to measure something. My solution was to cut a scale into a number of pieces of different lengths and make a simple pinch clamp holder for the pieces.

I wasn't doing anything requiring high precision so I used a plastic scale. I suppose one could make a precision version by cutting up a steel scale and using a surface grinder to bring the pieces to size.
    45 Best Harbor Freight Tool Modifications

Last edited by mklotz; 07-08-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (07-30-2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500+ Homemade Tool Plans

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Ruler Bits to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Forge Build Guide

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MKLOTZ for posting this. I have a number of six inch scales both plastic and steel. I try to take carful care of them as they are my path to accuracy (such as it is) . As I seem to have a pile of these I feel you gave me permission to "scale down " one of these to fit the job at hand. Brilliant! I guess i just needed a bump! Thanks again, Christopher Newbury, Gentleman Turner

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clarion.peals For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (07-30-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by clarion.peals View Post
    Thanks MKLOTZ for posting this. I have a number of six inch scales both plastic and steel. I try to take carful care of them as they are my path to accuracy (such as it is) . As I seem to have a pile of these I feel you gave me permission to "scale down " one of these to fit the job at hand. Brilliant! I guess i just needed a bump! Thanks again, Christopher Newbury, Gentleman Turner
    If you want to really go first class, make both ends of the handle capable of carrying a scale bit.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another bump to the brain! Good idea. Perhaps sized for plastic at one end and metal at the other. Thanks again. C.N.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    new to sote and am interested in homemade tools and lathe woodworking

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi skillet and welcome to the group. This is a place filled with great talent and a few guys like me still catching up. I myself am a wood turner and I do build tools for myself. Mostly because Im cheap and long lasting, unlike tools from the hardware store. I just love making shavings all day. I am trying to popularize bowls with multiple holes, jagged edges, and an oblong shape. Its not catching on so more shavings are needed. How long have you been at it? I would love to share what I know, and I will undoubtedly learn from you. feel free to chat it up any time with me ore some of that great talent i mentioned. Cheers, Clarion.peals AKA Christopher newbury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

I like your ruler bits. Sometime in the 1970's I bought the Starrett S423 set for what seems like not much but never like the ruler bits in 1/64" and 1/32" divisions because I design in decimal inches. I think finding some old 0.01" division scales and cutting these up would be a great addition to the Starrett set. I like your idea of using both ends of the clamp rod. The Starrett has just a one end clamp slot but the slot is at 45 degrees so perhaps adding a slot at a slant at the other end would helpful for getting into tight spots. Thanks for the ideas.

Regards, Paul

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters

Thread Information