Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Runaway tire hits car - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,791 Times in 9,904 Posts

Runaway tire hits car - GIF

Runaway tire hits car.

Previously:

Semi tire gets away on highway - GIF
    Tire knocks out man - GIF
    Tire stabbing fail - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 14, 2020), jimfols (Mar 13, 2020), MIGuy (Mar 13, 2020), Rangi (Mar 16, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 14, 2020), Seedtick (Mar 13, 2020)

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    That's a set of dual drive wheels which have come from a bogie wheel set-up, the weight will be very substantial and whoever was driving the car, I hope they survived as the wheels landed right where the driver would be sitting.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greenie For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Mar 13, 2020), Rangi (Mar 16, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 14, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    That's a set of dual drive wheels which have come from a bogie wheel set-up, the weight will be very substantial and whoever was driving the car, I hope they survived as the wheels landed right where the driver would be sitting.
    Not to forget the hub and brake drum as well. And probably all because some driver failed to check the oil level in the sight glass on the center of the hub. The bearing went dry and seazed up duel come off at Speed and become a deadly uncontrolled projectile. It would be hard for me to believe the driver of the car survived being hit with close to 500 lbs of duel assembly
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Mar 13, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Not to forget the hub and brake drum as well. And probably all because some driver failed to check the oil level in the sight glass on the center of the hub. The bearing went dry and seazed up duel come off at Speed and become a deadly uncontrolled projectile. It would be hard for me to believe the driver of the car survived being hit with close to 500 lbs of duel assembly
    Yup. I took these photos of a similar occurrence that happened near an exit ramp on I-90, close to Livingston, Mt. in 2017. Fortunately, the truck was slowing to take the exit when the bearing let go, and the dually just ended up coming to rest in the median, instead of continuing into the oncoming traffic lane. Trailer was carrying a full load of bee hives that the attending rural fire truck driver had to spray with water to keep bees cool. Wonder what the frequency of this type of failure might be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Runaway tire hits car - GIF-missed-turn.jpg   Runaway tire hits car - GIF-truck-bearing-bad.jpg   Runaway tire hits car - GIF-cooling-hives.jpg  
    Last edited by Gadgeteer; Mar 13, 2020 at 06:00 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Mar 13, 2020), Rangi (Mar 16, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 14, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
    Yup. I took these photos of a similar occurrence that happened near an exit ramp on I-90, close to Livingston, Mt. in 2017. Fortunately, the truck was slowing to take the exit when the bearing let go, and the dually just ended up coming to rest in the median, instead of continuing into the oncoming traffic lane. Trailer was carrying a full load of bee hives that the attending rural fire truck driver had to spray with water to keep bees cool. Wonder what the frequency of this type of failure might be.
    Sadly more frequent than 20 or 30 years ago but drivers were more in tune to checking their rigs better and topping off fluids on their own

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    O,H & S has now made it so that the drivers of such vehicles, DO NOT have to even bother to check that the tyres are inflated.
    I was driving semi's back in the 70'/80's and 90's and it was ALL part of the drivers job description to check on whether the tyre's were inflated, by at least giving them a thump with a short iron bar, checking that the wheel nut's were tightened and that the wheel bearings were running cool, by touching them with the back of your hand about every hour, or two hour stop, to do this checking.
    Now all the effin fools do is get in the cab, nail it and leave the foot flat to the floor until they need a piss, or have arrived at the required destination.
    If a flat tyre is pointed out to them, then they just ring and a "Tyre Technician" comes along and changes it for these arsewipe's.
    Have not got a kind word to say about some of these infantile, moronic, dickhead steeringwheel attendants of today.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenie For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Mar 16, 2020), toeless joe (Mar 14, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    O,H & S has now made it so that the drivers of such vehicles, DO NOT have to even bother to check that the tyres are inflated.
    I was driving semi's back in the 70'/80's and 90's and it was ALL part of the drivers job description to check on whether the tyre's were inflated, by at least giving them a thump with a short iron bar, checking that the wheel nut's were tightened and that the wheel bearings were running cool, by touching them with the back of your hand about every hour, or two hour stop, to do this checking.
    Now all the effin fools do is get in the cab, nail it and leave the foot flat to the floor until they need a piss, or have arrived at the required destination.
    If a flat tyre is pointed out to them, then they just ring and a "Tyre Technician" comes along and changes it for these arsewipe's.
    Have not got a kind word to say about some of these infantile, moronic, dickhead steeringwheel attendants of today.
    I never classed myself as a truck driver, even though I have driven them from my teens ranging from a B61 Mack with a thermodyne & 5by4 called a quadraplex to Autocars with 6x4 married with a 4 sp aux behind that and 3 speed rears being twisted by a turned up 1693 cat four and a quarter that was putting out about 100 more horses that it was designed for. Rigs with as few as 3 axles total tractor and trailer to Oil field gin pole trucks with all wheel drive and 5 axles with so many gear shifts and leavers poking through the floor board it looked like a forest of bent up steel trees to rigs with 18 axles. There was one thing every combination had in common no matter the size, You might forget to put your tooth brush in your travel bag but before you hit the road you put on a pair of coveralls pulled the 9/16" combination wrench out of your pocket and crawled underneath and checked the adjustment of every brake canister, the ones that had spring lock parking brakes you used the wrench as a measuring device by placing it against the clevis pin and canister mount to compare the notch you had ground into it at the 1 1/2" distance. After that you used your tire Billy or baton to thump each and every tire if the sound wasn't what you wanted to her you hauled out your air hose connected it to the glad hand trailer line or to quick disconnects you had installed in strategic locations and topped off all of the tires that sounded low. Additionally you checked every light to insure they were functioning if any of the hubs were oil type you cleaned off the sight glasses and made sure there was enough lube in the hub.
    The one thing that was good about having to crawl under the rig to adjust the brakes was you could check to see if you had a hub seal beginning to go south or leaking by using the pocket flash light. If the rig had backing plates behind the brakes it was more difficult to see I hated backing plates.
    Now days the slack adjusters are by mandate all supposed to be automatic adjusting Almost no one bothers to check then any more and even if they did they wouldn't know how to adjust them or what size wrench to use since they can be anything from 1/4" square to the old 9/16" size but very difficult to back off if you get them too tight. Also since the steering wheel holders do not crawl under their rigs to adjust the brakes they never know if a hub seal is going bad which is an indicator that the wheel bearings need tightening as well. They need an app on their phone to tell them if something is not right LOL

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Mar 16, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 14, 2020)

Thread Information