Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ruptured gas cylinder safety warning - photo

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Jan 10, 2022), Inner (Jan 10, 2022), KustomsbyKent (Jan 10, 2022), NortonDommi (Feb 22, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 10, 2022), Sleykin (Jan 15, 2022)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    That would make a perfect ashtray for a welding shop!

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    The Trades school I attended, when I was a young apprentice, had a similar display of a G size oxygen cylinder from a work shop that had been burnt out in the Ash Wednesday bushfires of 1983 in Victoria Australia.
    It had ruptured with such force it was nearly flat, looking at it from the front it looked like a bat standing upright with its wings out stretched.
    Things such as gas cylinders plus other materials and equipment have the potential to be very dangerous yet myself and millions of others are using them in their daily lives without a second thought, I always remember the words of one of my trade teachers “A lot of people are killed by complacency.”
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work I’m not young anymore.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skun Knuckles For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Feb 22, 2022), TheElderBrother (Feb 23, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jan 19, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    The scrapyard I go to had one sneak through and go in their crusher. The sign says that when it exploded you could hear it a mile away. I'll try to grab a picture the next time I'm there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elizabeth Greene For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Feb 22, 2022), TheElderBrother (Jan 19, 2022)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Ruptured gas cylinder safety warning - photo-picture-039.jpg Breathing Apparatus cylinders involved in a fire at work, I have photo's of others split as above as well, the Dissolved Acetylene 'portapak' mini cylinder that detonated could only be identified by the neck collar, found 150 Metres away.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Feb 22, 2022), TheElderBrother (Jan 19, 2022)

Thanks
    I lost a leg after I was injured fighting a fire that threatened to rupture a dozen one-pound bottles of propane sitting on the passenger seat of a pickup truck, right next to a two gallon jug of kerosene, with a contractor-sized box of roofing nails on top. Basically it was like the driver had built himself a bomb without even thinking about it, and he was mortified that it happened. He didn't mean any harm. He was just buying supplies for his fishing cabin and the engine in his thirty year old pickup caught fire. One thing led to another but it never went boom. And it would have been a drag if it had, because this happened on the street in front of a nursing home.

Ruptured gas bottles will make a complete mess of you. Even the little ones. And this one was not a little one. I always cringe when I see people in action films using them like mortars, pounding the valve off the top as though that would just send it flying. We even had a group of kids at camp one year, with a group of idiot adult leaders paying no attention at all, build a campfire up to enormous size, burning a half cord of firewood at one time and probably well above forging temperatures, decide to toss a propane bottle into the fire and wait and see.

We sent them home. The release valve worked and the bottle didn't rupture but I had to evacuate the kids from the campsite. That was a bad night for those suburban nitwit leaders. They were a bunch of Wall Street types who instantly tried buying their way out of culpability. They were never allowed back to that camp.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheElderBrother For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 19, 2022), NortonDommi (Feb 22, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jan 19, 2022)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Here in the UK certain 'mobile thieving b'stard stolen caravan dwelling do as they likeys' regularly leave 15 Kg cylinders in caravans they've replaced with a newer stolen model in the hope of it exploding to totally destroy any DNA evidence, intact cylinder recovered by Fire & Rescue': Ruptured gas cylinder safety warning - photo-5815614566_6959b5baa4_k.jpg

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    The scrapyard I go to had one sneak through and go in their crusher. The sign says that when it exploded you could hear it a mile away. I'll try to grab a picture the next time I'm there.
    It took a bit, but I finally got back up there.
    Ruptured gas cylinder safety warning - photo-img_20220221_153626410.jpg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth Greene For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Feb 22, 2022)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Exactly why I drill holes in 'empty' single use gas cylinder/bottle if I can't remove the valve assembly, only after purging and being filled with water, as our scrap collector won't take them if intact. Some US made single use cylinders are useful for other things, gong targets is one, if the bottoms been cut off.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

TheElderBrother (Feb 23, 2022)

Thanks
    I'll remember that. I could use some gong targets.

Thread Information