Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Saber saw >>jig saw mount

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools

Saber saw >>jig saw mount

I periodically need to cut metal patterns apart where I don't want to make a lead in cut. So my band saws were not useful and when I tried the saber saw, it worked but I didn't like that I couldn't see around it very good and would rather have two hands on the work, rather than one on the work and one holding the saw. I was doing my usual cogetation on the problem while helping my SO with her sewing machine and the thunderclap hit.

I had a chunk of 3x3" angle which I welded to a piece of 2" channel. With the appropriate holes for the foot mount and slot for the blade along with fly cutting the surface it makes for a nice elevated surface that I can get my mits all the way around the work. The crucial safety device in this setup is a intermittent/deadman HFT foot switch because when it grabs work like it periodically does I don't want to let go of it to try and hit the trigger release. I can't put a chicken foot on it because the parts are sometimes irregular. I've even done a bit of wood work on it and find it much easier to see where I'm going and can keep to my marks better.

But to reiterate, to be safe please use a foot switch so you can keep control of the work.
    Saber saw >>jig saw mount-image.jpgSaber saw >>jig saw mount-image.jpgSaber saw >>jig saw mount-image.jpgSaber saw >>jig saw mount-image.jpg

These I beam clamps I got over in the electrical section of Home Depot are invaluable for clamping all kinds of tools, vices and fixture to this top. They make them in several sizes and the are like $2-3 ea.Saber saw >>jig saw mount-image.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Jon (May 25, 2016), PJs (May 25, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks for sharing this C-Bag. Nice setup for the jigsaw and particularly like your scissor bench set up. The clamps are a great Idea...seen them b4 will pick up some next run. The HFT deadman foot switch is a good precaution for sure.

One thing I've noticed about these type builds is that swarf will drop into the head of the saw. They are really made to use in the upright for control and that reason I think. It occurred to me after seeing yours that if your turned the blade 180º it would give you a flat surface to feed from and tend to keep the swarf out of the head?? I know all blades/saws wouldn't work because of the back roller and blade style...but a thought from the peanut gallery. Might also use a piece of thin sheet metal (or some acrylic) to make a shroud of some type.

Nice, simple build! ~PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by PJs; May 25, 2016 at 10:54 AM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (May 25, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    This is such a good idea that at least one manufacturer, Rockwell, has already built a commercial version...

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/...tent=Apr-29-16

I bought one of these and can recommend it highly. It's great in my crowded shop; I can lift it out from its hiding place, plop it on the bench, and get 'er done quickly then, just as quickly, get it out of my way and carry on.

I've long contended that bringing the work to the (power) tool rather than the tool to the work provides much better control of the job. That's not to say that hand-held tools don't have their place; I can't very well bring the kitchen wall to the drill press.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Thanks for sharing this C-Bag. Nice setup for the jigsaw and particularly like your scissor bench set up. The clamps are a great Idea...seen them b4 will pick up some next run. The HFT deadman foot switch is a good precaution for sure.

One thing I've noticed about these type builds is that swarf will drop into the head of the saw. They are really made to use in the upright for control and that reason I think. It occurred to me after seeing yours that if your turned the blade 180º it would give you a flat surface to feed from and tend to keep the swarf out of the head?? I know all blades/saws wouldn't work because of the back roller and blade style...but a thought from the peanut gallery. Might also use a piece of thin sheet metal (or some acrylic) to make a shroud of some type.

Nice, simple build! ~PJ
    I thought about the swarf in the head thing and decided I had to just forge ahead and deal with it later. But so far it's been a non issue(knocks on wooden head) as it hasn't effected the saw's performance and when I flip it over to put it back up on the shelf, no swarf comes out. Upon closer inspection I think the cooling fan vents out around the saw blade arbor for clearing swarf/dust so it might be saving me, dunno. Its so tight in there and it's already tough to see whether the blade is seated properly and I don't want to foul the mechanism for releasing the blade....I still have some schmootz brush left maybe I can bodge something with that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 25, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    This is such a good idea that at least one manufacturer, Rockwell, has already built a commercial version...

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/...tent=Apr-29-16

I bought one of these and can recommend it highly. It's great in my crowded shop; I can lift it out from its hiding place, plop it on the bench, and get 'er done quickly then, just as quickly, get it out of my way and carry on.

I've long contended that bringing the work to the (power) tool rather than the tool to the work provides much better control of the job. That's not to say that hand-held tools don't have their place; I can't very well bring the kitchen wall to the drill press.
    Well I guess just shows there's nothing new under the sun. Thanks for the link, didn't even know it existed.

For me my setup works better because of the small elevated table and it's just makes the saw couple of inches bigger than originally. I don't do hardly any woodworking so this just stays on the saw in it's cubby hole.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I wasn't suggesting the commercial model is better; just wanted folks who may not have the time or skills to build your version know that it was available.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (May 25, 2016), PJs (May 25, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I wasn't suggesting the commercial model is better; just wanted folks who may not have the time or skills to build your version know that it was available.
    Thanks Marv for the link and feedback about it. I saw those at OSH a while back and wondered about them, price seems reasonable too.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks C-Bag! We've added your Jigsaw Mount to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: C-Bag's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information