Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Handle

Thanks

Dr.Al's Tools

Shooting Handle

This is my new shooting handle:

Shooting Handle-rsutzcl.jpg

It's designed to make the process of shooting the ends of boards square much more comfortable. My low-angle jack plane isn't that comfortable to hold when it's on its side. The brass body of the handle gives something comfortable to hold on to, while the stainless handle gives something to push on when shooting:

Shooting Handle-z0ycrq1.jpg

Loosening the knurled knob allows the handle to be rotated by 90°...

Shooting Handle-0wqztvv.jpg

... which means the plane can be stored with the handle still attached (and it also means that, when using the plane in a more conventional way, the handle doesn't stick out the side with the potential to knock into things):

Shooting Handle-uth7ykz.jpg

This photo shows all the bits that it's made of:

Shooting Handle-u8f4kmi.jpg

The knurled nut and the main body are 30 mm diameter brass; the handle is 30 mm diameter 303S31 stainless steel. The pivot screw is made out of 10 mm square EN3B; the pin is 5 mm EN1A with an M2.5 hole tapped in the end that can be used to pull it out of its hole if required.

The grub screws are all M6 (chosen mainly because when grub screws get much smaller than that, the hex socket size gets a bit piddly for my liking).

The last part is a piece of 1 mm thick aluminium plate, which goes in between the grub screws and the body of the plane, to stop the side of the plane getting damaged.

Here's another view of the bits and a picture of it partly assembled in case it helps make it clearer how it works:

Shooting Handle-xemx5ij.jpg

Shooting Handle-48fmnkv.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Metalworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/metalwork
    Woodworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Al For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Aug 2, 2022), flyfr8rs (Jul 25, 2022), Jon (Jul 25, 2022), Metallurg33 (Jul 29, 2022), mr mikey (Jul 25, 2022), PJs (Dec 12, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jul 25, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Dr.Al! We've added your Shooting Handle to our Planes category,
    as well as to your builder page: Dr.Al's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Nice work, Dr. Al

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TrickieDickie For This Useful Post:

Dr.Al (Jul 26, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Congratulations Dr.Al - your Shooting Handle is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This is a carefully designed tool and a useful addition to a shooting plane.

Some more nice picks from this week:

Powered Wheelbarrow by fawabros
    High Spot Marker by Philip Davies
    Milling Attachment by Metalgeria
    Welding Clamp by orioncons36
    3-Tier Shelves by Frank S
    Bandsaw Rotating Baseplate by cales2021
    Gas Pedal Lock by Metalgeria
    Steady Rest Adjustment Screws by mylilmule
    Table Saw Jig by Didpoolhall
    Shelf Brackets by Frank S
    Curette by Philip Davies

Dr.Al - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

More importantly - this is your 3rd Homemade Tool of the Week win! You join these other 3-Time Homemade Tool of the Week winners: rgsparber, rossbotics, mr95gst, Paul Jones, Christophe Mineau, Captainleeward, immortalx, scorch, Brendon, Frank S, morsa, mklotz, Philip Davies, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, brianhw, kess, LMMasterMariner, jjr2001, Tuomas, olderdan, tonyfoale, bobs409, Mikhandmaker, thehomeengineer, old_toolmaker, celsoari, Bellevue Woodshop, Stevohdee, Kovanca Polock, Dimitris Polychronis, warsztatOdZera, Kwandotechnic, Mark Presling, Crusty.

You'll notice the 3-Time Homemade Tool of the Week award trophy graphic in your postbit beneath your avatar.

Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Dr.Al (Jul 30, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    It looks very nice but what does "shooting" mean in this context? i have several planes and I guess that I may perform a shooting operation without knowing it/them as shooting, but I just cannot associate shooting with any such operations. I have been told that I should get out more.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Shooting in woodworking typically means to square up a board, end, side, or to a desired angle with a shooting board. A purpose made shooting plane, the low angle plane used by the handle maker for end grain, or any square side to sole plane can be used.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    It looks very nice but what does "shooting" mean in this context? i have several planes and I guess that I may perform a shooting operation without knowing it/them as shooting, but I just cannot associate shooting with any such operations. I have been told that I should get out more.
    In the UK, IIRC, a shooting board is used to hold a board to plane or sand the ends of the boards square and flat. So far as I know, has nothing to do with firearms. Gotta be someone from over the pond who can confirm or deny!

Bill

Thanks

Dr.Al's Tools
    Yes, shooting in a woodworking context is squaring up the ends with a plane on its side. You can see my shooting board in this thread: Shooting Board with 3D printed runners - perhaps that makes the operation more obvious?

I wasn't aware of it being a UK-specific term: there are youtube videos from several American youtubers talking about their shooting boards and they seem to use the same term.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Al View Post
    Yes, shooting in a woodworking context is squaring up the ends with a plane on its side. You can see my shooting board in this thread: Shooting Board with 3D printed runners - perhaps that makes the operation more obvious?

I wasn't aware of it being a UK-specific term: there are youtube videos from several American youtubers talking about their shooting boards and they seem to use the same term.
    I've run in to it, but most of the sources I've seen talking about them are from the UK. A lot of American woodworking is based around power tools. The fine handicrafts of woodworking are more based around woodworking in Appalachia, where there is a very strong English and Scots tradition relying on the old traditional practices. Though we steal good ideas from everywhere! I'm not much of woodworker, more wood butcher, truth be told, and I actually find metal more forgiving. "Measure twice, cut once, weld, repeat!"

Bill

Thanks

Dr.Al's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    I've run in to it, but most of the sources I've seen talking about them are from the UK. A lot of American woodworking is based around power tools. The fine handicrafts of woodworking are more based around woodworking in Appalachia, where there is a very strong English and Scots tradition relying on the old traditional practices. Though we steal good ideas from everywhere! I'm not much of woodworker, more wood butcher, truth be told, and I actually find metal more forgiving. "Measure twice, cut once, weld, repeat!"

Bill
    That's interesting to hear. I think it's very likely that I first heard of a shooting board from someone in England just because of where I live, but I wasn't aware of how it's more common in the UK than in the US.

It can't be that rare in the US though: I think of Lie Nielsen as an all-American tool maker and they sell a dedicated shooting board plane.

Wood by Wright is an American woodworker who has a few videos about shooting boards too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BAWNOi86FQ

I'm pretty sure I've seen Canadian youtubers Rob Cosman and Tom Fidgen using them too, so definitely not just UK.

Thread Information