I found a length of angle iron, 3” wide. I had a frog, blade and capiron from a broken (not by me) plane.
I cut a piece of steel, 2” wide and half inch thick to support the frog, and, after filing it and flattening it, silversoldered it to the angle iron. It looks a bit like this, only this is for a left hand.
Then there was a lot more drilling and filing.
The infill is Mukwa, also known as African teak,or bloodwood. It’s not redder than teak but works very easily, smells like rosewood, and although it looks a bit like iroko, is not irritant, at least not a bit as bad as
This capiron is made from a billet I forged from springs. There is still a bit more emery work before it’s etched. The screw is one I salvaged, five sixteenths BSW.
The guides on the board are stainless steel, salvaged from a butcher’s that was closing.