Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Shop gadgets

Thanks
    Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Shop gadgets

Like many of us, I stick small tools in holes bored in a block of wood. However, this doesn't work well with certain tools. For instance, it's hard to select the right jeweler screwdriver if you can't see the tips. So I made this holder out of some well-aged boxwood I had lying around.

The turned recess exposes the tips of the tools for selection yet the whole block can be picked up as a unit without having tools fall out.

Commercial chuck spiders can be expensive. I made this one

for machining thin disk-like parts. The slots allow it to slip over the jaws and the spacers (two sets shown) hold it (and the part) a fixed distance from the chuck face with good support for machining.

I'm not sure where I acquired a whole bagful of brass key disks but, never needing so many, I took some of them and made this adjustable spacer by stringing them on a screw which is soldered to the bottommost disk. A finger nut tensions the disks on the screw.

In use, one simply swings aside the unneeded portion of the spacer to provide the right height stack under the clamp.

Finally, if your chuck is hard to remove, make yourself a "banjo" wrench from 3/4" plywood.

The slots fit over the chuck jaws and distribute the force on all three jaws - much superior in my mind to using a crescent wrench on one jaw or slamming a jaw into a block of wood on the ways.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 6, 2017 at 08:45 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (May 20, 2022), HobieDave (Mar 11, 2020), Home-PC (Aug 4, 2020), kbalch (Aug 31, 2015), Moby Duck (Jan 21, 2017), PJs (Sep 2, 2015), RetiredFAE (May 19, 2022), rlm98253 (May 19, 2022), Tonyg (May 2, 2020), Tule (May 2, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanks mklotz! I've added your Screwdriver Storage Carousel, Chuck Spider, Chuck Jaw Wrench, and Brass Spacer to, respectively, our Storage and Organization, Lathe Accessories, and Miscellaneous categories, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

rlm98253 (Mar 15, 2017), soundguy (Jul 25, 2020)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    All Great builds Marv! Particularly like the spacer height clamp for the finger plate...simple & elegant! Thanks for all these Posts...all wonderful, useful ideas! Thanks for sharing! ~PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thread Information