Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shop Putterer

Supporting Member
    Thanks

pauladan@magtech.ca's Tools
    Thanks Paul!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Yes, do find the trimmer satisfying to use, especially this version of it as the previous version with sickle cutters was very high maintenance and did not do a great job on the sides of the hedge. I have had a number of people ask if it can be raised and lowered for different heights. I certainly have thought about that, but I think I would have to incorporate hydraulics to do it. So, as it stands it cuts my hedge the way I want the hedge to look and that is fine for now.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pauladan@magtech.ca For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 30, 2015)

Thanks
    Hi Dan,

That's one incredible, Rube Goldberg-type device! Your Hedge Trimmer is the 'Tool of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Shop Putterer-black-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Shop Putterer-black-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg
    Shop Putterer-white-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Shop Putterer-white-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg

Just let me have (via PM) your details (size, color choice, and mailing address for the shirt) and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

Thanks
    That machine is ingenious without a doubt. Boy oh boy to add a hydraulic system to adjust height and side pitch would be outstanding but as it sits its completely awesome. As seen on that video it takes a very time consuming, tideous and back breaking chore and turns it into a quick Sunday afternoon cruise down the lane.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

You're right. I have to admit that before I used to dread the weekly hedge trimming job with the handheld trimmer, but now I kind of look forward to it!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Oop's, delayed my intended location!
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 8, 2016 at 09:21 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Marv stated;
    I have not, and never will, join Facebook so that may be the problem. I doubt that I'm alone in that respect.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's at least two of us. I am in total agreement. The opinion is based on comments of users, and rather over simplified due to lack of interest. Those users aren't all that content, many restrict potential contacts, or wind up bailing out completely.
    The idea that commercial enterprises, branches of the military, cosmetics, and so on shill BS on the 'dime' of not necessarily interested parties confounds me. Sure, the originators rake in profits, but so what. I see 'apps' the same way; where something like a customer thinks a service is being performed on their behalf...but they are just substitutes and uncompensated for performing tasks that a letter or phone call used to do. Anyone tried one of those techniques lately?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Now that you have your machine running and doing the job you intended for it to do It would be a really good idea to fabricate some guards to protect you and the machine's inner works from flying debris. A focus on safety should always be first and foremost on any machine build and doubly so on the more complex builds
    That said it is a nice build Probably a lot more fun than running down to the nearest Stil or Honda dealer and buying 3 5 ft long sickle bar hedge trimmers then mounting them to a framework.
    I would assume that the sheet of plywood mounted behind the tractor is the main blades' guard. That, and a standing instruction for everyone to stay inside the house while hedger is operating!

What is the purpose of the hedge?
    Last edited by volodar; Nov 16, 2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: plural's possessive

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Beautiful. Terrific in conceptualization and execution. You made a fine observation regarding the coarser blades cutting better. Consider the hedger topper used in citrus groves displayed here just a few days ago. The blades are about 1/4 tpi. The living bush is very pliable across the branches. They'll ride a closer tpi such as the plywood blade as opposed to being chopped by the coarser blade.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Good job! If I had a hedge that long I would have built a trimmer too, maybe at ground level. Lol. One suggestion: by my calculation the blades are rotating at about 1800 rpm, 3600 or direct engine speed would be more efficient I think.
    Last edited by seb fontana; Mar 7, 2023 at 01:22 PM. Reason: missed letter

Thread Information