Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Shop vac shovel

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Shop vac shovel

Yesterday I had one of my discovery days, a full day in which I had decided not to do any one particular thing as far as projects go that is.
    I opened up one of my storage trailers and started rummaging through some of the accumulated junk things that may possibly have a use one day or be turned into salvage recyclables. I found an old fireplace shovel that had the handle broken out of it Now why would I keep a piece of scrap like this OH well I tossed it aside.
    Today I needed to start digging up some of my old water lines and get ready to repair or replace. At one juncture where I dug down not only did I find the water line but an electric cable and the propane line none of these need to be attacked with a machine or even a shovel for that matter so while digging some of the soil from around these lines using a garden trowel I thought why not use my shop vac to lift out the dirt. I grabbed my 20 gallon shop vac troweled some soil loose then vacuumed it out of the hole. About that time I thought of the broken fireplace shovel wouldn't it be great to dig and lift at the same time so I reformed it around a cylinder thencut a couple of slots in it and located a hose clamp clamping it to the hose of the shop vac. wala instant vacuum shovel
    Shop vac shovel-20171102_122929.jpg
    Shop vac shovel-20171102_124719.jpg

ANother great thing about it is it will aid in cleaning out the swarf from my lathe and mill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 1, 2023), nova_robotics (Dec 31, 2022), oldcaptainrusty (Nov 3, 2017), Seedtick (Nov 2, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Way back, I recall laughing at electric carving knives; as if fork and spoon awaited powering-up too.
    Well, what is a spoon but a miniature shovel?

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Monte Bennett's Tools

Vacuum Shivel

Great idea for home uses. There was a recent project at an airport where they used an industrial version to upgrade Comms cables and they succeeded in laying the underground cables without breaking any live cables. The diversion airport was nearly a thousand miles away so it was extremely critical not to break existing services.
    I applaud you in your ability to solve a problem before it becomes a disaster - well done!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Way back, I recall laughing at electric carving knives; as if fork and spoon awaited powering-up too.
    Well, what is a spoon but a miniature shovel?
    Reaching over 2 feet down to lift the soil out in a narrow trench is the pits I tried a sharp shooter shovel but the amount of dirt I could get on the blade took more work than just using my hand like a backhoe bucket that was when I thought of my shop vac. It did just fine on the already loose soil but wouldn't dig so I decided why not add a small shovel to it then it could dig and suck
    THye use something similar in archaeological digs
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Shop Vac Shovel to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information