Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shorty scriber

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Shorty scriber

I needed an adjustable scriber that could conveniently work down close to the top of the surface plate. This design is infinitely adjustable and rock steady when locked. Adjustments are made by loosening the lock screw and turning the cylindrical piece that carries the scriber point made from drill rod.

The device disassembled... The slot turned in the cylindrical carrier serves two purposes. It prevents the cylinder from falling out when the lock screw is loosened and also prevents burrs raised by the lockscrew from restricting the adjustment of the height of the scriber.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 10, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 11, 2020), benkeller3 (Oct 30, 2017), bobs409 (Jan 17, 2017), Canyonman44 (Jun 10, 2020), high-side (Jul 27, 2018), IAMSatisfied (Oct 30, 2017), Jon (Sep 1, 2015), kbalch (Sep 1, 2015), Miloslav (Aug 30, 2018), Moby Duck (Oct 30, 2017), Paul Jones (Nov 3, 2017), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jul 27, 2018), PJs (Sep 2, 2015), rendoman (Apr 16, 2018), Saltfever (Jun 11, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 17, 2018), sossol (Apr 4, 2018), Toolmaker51 (May 22, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanks Marv! I've added your Short Scriber to our Scribes, Awls, and Marking Knives category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

Jeff Michel (Jul 26, 2018)

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    Thank you for sharing this nifty tool, Marv. Did you make the lock-screw? If not, where'd you find it?

Many thanks,
    Bryan

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMSatisfied View Post
    Thank you for sharing this nifty tool, Marv. Did you make the lock-screw? If not, where'd you find it?
    I found some knurled, stainless thread inserts in my parts cabinet. They're meant to be formed into plastic assemblies to provide metal threads for durability. I Loctited a setscrew with a matching thread partway into one of these inserts and, voila, a classy finger screw.

Look for these inserts at recyclers, etc. They come in different sizes and materials. It's a quick and dirty way to get a nice looking finger screw.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (May 19, 2022), IAMSatisfied (Jul 21, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Very nice Marv! This is something that I see an immediate need for. It reminds me of a mouse for a computer and should be as easy to use. I also like that I should be an easy "all lathe" type project.

I might ask what are the the OD's on this particular scriber? I could see having several made up in different dimensions or even the same dimension with one or more set for common scribing needs. It is certainly a cheap and easy solution to small dimension scribing.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Very nice Marv! This is something that I see an immediate need for. It reminds me of a mouse for a computer and should be as easy to use. I also like that I should be an easy "all lathe" type project.

I might ask what are the the OD's on this particular scriber? I could see having several made up in different dimensions or even the same dimension with one or more set for common scribing needs. It is certainly a cheap and easy solution to small dimension scribing.
    The cylinder on mine is 3/4" in diameter but dimensions are non-critical. The diameter of the cylinder holding the scribe determines how far above the surface plate you can set the scribe, if that matters in your application. Thin the bottom of whatever holds the cylinder as much as possible since that thickness affects the height of the scribe when in the six o'clock position. Obviously, mount the scribe as close to the circumference of the cylinder as is practical.

There is no requirement that the body that holds the cylinder be itself a cylinder as in my version. Square or rectangular is fine if that suits your use or available materials.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Marv, I don't normally see a tool made by someone that I cannot get my head around its intended application or a practical use for it. While I can see it being a neatly designed tool I haven't figured out the application. I'll admit that the only time I have ever used a scribe for is to score a line along a straight edge or to follow the edges of a template to create an image of a part or to create intersecting locations for marking holes or a cut.
    Perhaps if you could provide a couple of simple in use or application photos my often times foggy mind will be able to grasp what might make it a needful piece for my kit
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    I suppose there are many applications where its short stature is advantageous but let me describe one from my own experience that will highlight it.

A base casting for a steam engine. One end of the casting has been milled flat to serve as a reference surface. A number of points and lines have to be scribed relative to this surface. However, the casting is not flat; it has a number of "sticky-up" bits such as bearing supports and governor stanchions, etc. so one can't simply lay a square on it and scratch lines.

The solution is to clamp the base to an angle plate and then set that assembly on the surface plate with the base reference surface resting on the surface plate. Now you can use a surface gauge, e.g....

https://www.gamut.com/p/starrett-sur...QaAi4PEALw_wcB

to lay out the lines. However, I needed to lay out some lines close to the surface plate. When the surface gauge is set up to do this, the gauge rod sits vertically and fouls against the "sticky-up" bits of the casting.

The solution is a low profile surface gauge that can get in under the obstructions.

At the time I built it I didn't have a conventional height gauge, e.g....

https://www.gamut.com/p/analog-heigh...uracy-NjYwNTc3

which would probably have done the job just fine. In fact, it was jobs like this that prompted me to buy a height gauge. I now own three of them; they're wonderful, versatile tools.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 1, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Thanks I can visualize it now. I twas that I haven't come up against a situation as you described. For me I mostly just use a scribe as a pencil in open areas I have on the occasion though now that you mention it needed a short pencil for marking outlines in tight spaces that is usually when I call on someone with smaller more nimble fingers than mine
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Thanks........usually I call on someone with smaller more nimble fingers than mine
    I remember a picture of your hand, barely smaller than steam shovel scoop in Rick Sparber's avatar. So, smaller nimble fingers would be just about anyone!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information