Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 5C indexing tool and miniature indexing table

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

5C indexing tool and miniature indexing table

I made a generalization of the ubiquitous 5C collet blocks. The picture below shows it in its assembled state.

Shown below are the two main components of the device. On the right is the collet chuck which is shaped exactly as one would shape a 5C chuck internally. On the left is the clamp that holds the chuck. It is split and fitted with a SHCS to lock the chuck in place when required. (When the clamp is used in the mill vise the clamping action of the vise closes the clamp and the screw is not required.) The clamp is fitted with a small brass finger stop that allows it to be accurately re-positioned in the mill vise.

The chuck has a dead flat bottom so it will sit vertically in the mill vise. When this flat base is aligned with the clamp base, the 24 indexing holes are just above the top of the clamp and precision pins in the chuck can be used against a pin fixed in the clamp to effect the indexing action.

These pictures show the draw-nut used to tighten the collet and the spanner used to tighten the draw-nut. When the nut is fully tightened on the collet in use it's completely hidden up inside the recess turned in the base of the chuck. This is done so the chuck can sit flat when used vertically.

Since the draw-nut is hidden when tightened, a special spanner is needed to reach up into the recess to tighten/loosen the nut. The one shown will do that. It has holes for tommy bars to provide the torque to activate the nut.

This strange cylindrical spanner shape accommodates the situation where the collet is used horizontally on a long piece of stock that projects out of the back of the collet. The spanner is slipped over the projecting stock, its "teeth" engage the slots in the nut, and the tommy bars activate the nut.

This is one of my most useful tools. You'll never believe how many small dividing jobs can be done with it.

--------

I occasionally need to mount a small part on a faceplate so I made a tiny one to fit into a 1" collet.

The T-slots were made with a 1/4" mill reground to look like a T-slot cutter. The T-nuts are 6-32. The back view,

shows the spigot used to mount it in the collet. The spigot is removable

and has a precision centering pin so that other fixtures can be fitted to it. (A sacrificial mounting plate is shown on the right.)

Finally, with the spigot removed, the faceplate fits into my vertical collet holder to form an indexing table. The bushing shown fits into the table's central hole to reduce its diameter if working on parts smaller than 1/2" OD.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 2, 2017 at 11:17 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Altair (Aug 18, 2019), asterix (Dec 6, 2022), backyard_cnc (Sep 7, 2015), emu roo (Dec 5, 2022), kbalch (Sep 4, 2015), Manitoba Man (Sep 24, 2021), Metallurg33 (Sep 24, 2021), Paul Jones (Sep 3, 2015), rayh__ (Sep 24, 2021), rendoman (Mar 9, 2020), Saltfever (Aug 23, 2019), threesixesinarow (Aug 18, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Aug 18, 2019), volodar (Jul 21, 2018), winmac (Dec 6, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanks Marv! I've added your 5C Indexing Tool to our Measuring and Marking category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Toolmaking at it's finest. Beyond what is produced commercially, yet might include simple mechanics; to facilitate or streamline any kind of process. Not restricted to machine work, but most common exercise none-the-less.
    Soak it up while you can. It's a privilege to witness such results of mental acuity and creativity, from confines of a true home shop. That combination's not so common.
    A humble salute to Mr. K.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Thanks for the kind words, Toolmaker; much appreciated.

It's a really useful tool. I make a lot of small parts that can be satisfactorily held in collets so this tool saves me from dragging out the rotary table on many occasions.

Nobody ever asked why the first couple pictures show two alignment pins in the collet chuck when only one is needed. The second pin is there to prevent mistakes. When rotating the chuck to a new angular position pulling out the pin can cause the absent-minded to lose track of where it was, which info is needed to decide where to place the pin for the next position. Counting off and placing the second pin before the first is removed prevents that sort of confusion.

Incidentally, no hard copy plans were ever made for the device. It's purely a product of mental design and evolutionary alterations as it was constructed.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The two pins struck me signaling start or stop positions; being symmetrical, engraving would not be all that beneficial.
    And to comment "Incidentally, no hard copy plans were ever made for the device. It's purely a product of mental design and evolutionary alterations as it was constructed" proves my point exactly.
    I make notes of particular dimensions needed, usually trig for setups instead of swiveling vise for example; but really enjoy working unrestricted by yesterdays or last months planning.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 18, 2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: incorrect quote
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Manitoba Man's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I made a generalization of the ubiquitous 5C collet blocks. The picture below shows it in its assembled state.

Shown below are the two main components of the device. On the right is the collet chuck which is shaped exactly as one would shape a 5C chuck internally. On the left is the clamp that holds the chuck. It is split and fitted with a SHCS to lock the chuck in place when required. (When the clamp is used in the mill vise the clamping action of the vise closes the clamp and the screw is not required.) The clamp is fitted with a small brass finger stop that allows it to be accurately re-positioned in the mill vise.

The chuck has a dead flat bottom so it will sit vertically in the mill vise. When this flat base is aligned with the clamp base, the 24 indexing holes are just above the top of the clamp and precision pins in the chuck can be used against a pin fixed in the clamp to effect the indexing action.

These pictures show the draw-nut used to tighten the collet and the spanner used to tighten the draw-nut. When the nut is fully tightened on the collet in use it's completely hidden up inside the recess turned in the base of the chuck. This is done so the chuck can sit flat when used vertically.

Since the draw-nut is hidden when tightened, a special spanner is needed to reach up into the recess to tighten/loosen the nut. The one shown will do that. It has holes for tommy bars to provide the torque to activate the nut.

This strange cylindrical spanner shape accommodates the situation where the collet is used horizontally on a long piece of stock that projects out of the back of the collet. The spanner is slipped over the projecting stock, its "teeth" engage the slots in the nut, and the tommy bars activate the nut.

This is one of my most useful tools. You'll never believe how many small dividing jobs can be done with it.

--------

I occasionally need to mount a small part on a faceplate so I made a tiny one to fit into a 1" collet.

The T-slots were made with a 1/4" mill reground to look like a T-slot cutter. The T-nuts are 6-32. The back view,

shows the spigot used to mount it in the collet. The spigot is removable

and has a precision centering pin so that other fixtures can be fitted to it. (A sacrificial mounting plate is shown on the right.)

Finally, with the spigot removed, the faceplate fits into my vertical collet holder to form an indexing table. The bushing shown fits into the table's central hole to reduce its diameter if working on parts smaller than 1/2" OD.

Good explanation and pics. I almost understood it. Not your fault. My genuine ignorance.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Manitoba Man View Post
    Good explanation and pics. I almost understood it. Not your fault. My genuine ignorance.
    If you have any explicit questions I would be glad to try to answer them.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information