Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Holdfasts from rebar, etc

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 341 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Holdfasts from rebar, etc

LHoldfasts from rebar, etc-image.jpg
    Prompted by an earlier thread, from Frank S, here are some holdfasts I have made. They are very easy to do, especially if you use old levers/podgers/whatever. With these, you do not have to draw down the tongue, so as soon as it’s red hot, you can simply bend into an exaggerated S. Discounting the time taken to heat it (often I just let it rest awhile in the embers of a wood fire), that’s a matter of a few seconds.
    If I have to dispose of tools that could be used for burglary or violence, I break them, or ruin them in some way. The two on the left are made from levers which were just the job for a criminal.
    The other 3 are from rebar. The largest of the three I use frequently,in the pritchel hole of my anvil. The smaller rebar holdfasts I used to take with my saw stools (which I no longer have)
    They work simply through friction in the hole you might bore in a work surface. A tap with a hammer and the material is held quite firmly. But if it’s your nice bench, you want to insert a steel washer, to prevent it splintering, like this:
    Holdfasts from rebar, etc-image.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 21, 2019), baja (Aug 21, 2019), bruce.desertrat (Aug 20, 2019), Frank S (Aug 19, 2019), Jon (Aug 19, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Holdfasts to our Workholding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Holdfast Insert to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information