Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools

Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure

I made this plate to hold specific parts from my 1957 Chevy truck front spindle assembly.
    My oven is not tall enough to hang the parts from. I have not used this yet, but when it dries off today will give it a try.
    Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190819_192023.jpgThe plate is 1/4" scrap (to me) aluminum from a 19" rack mount filler plate.
    Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190819_192034.jpgI machined the tips of 1/4"x20TPIx1-3/4" bolts to 60 degree point using a carbide threading tool.
    Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190819_192009.jpgThe main brake shoe support plate
    Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190819_191936.jpgThe left side steering link, and the brake pedal link (between the foot pedal rod and master cylinder).

Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190818_190231.jpgSome parts done in a toaster oven. There's the brake pedal rod, clutch pedal rod, a shock absorber mount, U-bolt spacer, and some sheet metal dust shields. I'm using gloss black from a random eBay seller. 380F@15 minutes.

I've not done a lot of powder coating, but so far I've not had issues with oil or other surface anomalies. These are sand blasted with white silica fine sand, then just washed with spray engine starter fluid to remove the sand and rust dust.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 22, 2019), Jon (Aug 20, 2019), rlm98253 (Aug 21, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Here are the results of today's painting effort:
    Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190820_160115.jpgThis part turned out perfect with one try.

Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190820_125058.jpgThe brake pedal, I powder coated one side then flipped it, but steering arm, I tried without turning it over, that was a mistake.
    Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190820_125425.jpgYou can see areas with no paint.
    Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190820_130158.jpgHere I've applied the 2nd coat of powder to the side I missed, electrostatic attraction has limited success.
    Fixture plate to hold parts for powder coat oven cure-img_20190820_145202.jpgThis was after the 3rd coating, as the second one, I thought it had cooled enough, and I left imprints in the surface, along with little hairs from the hot pad I was using. Also DO NOT USE WAX PAPER, it got stuck to the part. So I applied a very thick coat of powder, and I used Teflon plumber tape where it touches the plate, this worked well.

Lesson learned, let things cool down to where you can handle them with bare hands.
    I also need to get some high temp tape and silicon plugs to mask off holes and such.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 22, 2019), HUMARIA (Aug 22, 2019), Marnat3 (Aug 21, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks metric_taper! We've added your Powder Coating Fixture Plate to our Powder Coating category,
    as well as to your builder page: metric_taper's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Posting from my phone so no link, but there’s an Instructables entry where someone turned an old 4-drawer file cabinet into a powder coating oven. As I recall he was using it for bike frame parts and such.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

IAMSatisfied (Oct 18, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    Posting from my phone so no link, but there’s an Instructables entry where someone turned an old 4-drawer file cabinet into a powder coating oven. As I recall he was using it for bike frame parts and such.
    I see there is a subforum here that has several oven builds. I'd like to be able to do something as big as a large truck rim. But then I'd want to do a whole fender or hood, or auto chassis in powder coat. I think some of these are done with radiant heat.
    It's been a long time since I did any spray painting, but I recall always trying to put too much on, and dealing with runs. I'm at a stage with the truck that I need to separate spot welded body assemblies on the truck cab, as major salt rot has to be removed. Getting paint back on unpainted hidden surfaces will be something to figure out.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information