Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Protecting hoses from chafing

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Protecting hoses from chafing

The biggest issue with many hoses on a truck is their chafing or rubbing together if a DOT inspector see them he may write you a fixit ticket or he could put you out of service right there on the spot.
    After many miles of flexing hoses have a tendency to begin to sag or for what ever reason may lay against another and start to rub or chafe
    A simple accepted solution to this it so simply zip tie them together but I like to add a little better protection by encasing them in the plastic wire loom like shown in the picture. By doing this it adds another level of protection while also helping to stabilize the hoses at the same time
    Protecting hoses from chafing-20190815_171432sw.jpg
    the small nylon line was sagging onto the larger hose but now it is not only captured and held in place it cannot get close to the drive line if it were to become heavily laden with accumulated ice
    . the line is a good 8 inches from the drive line although the picture does not show it

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 17, 2019), DIYer (Aug 20, 2019), greyhoundollie (Aug 16, 2019), Jon (Aug 22, 2019), Scotty12 (Aug 16, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 16, 2019)

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    You need to reroute that hose and get it far away from that universal joint set. It’s way too close. The hose is obviously routed the wrong way and needs to be put back to its original stock factory position. Any DOT inspector sees that he will put you out of service.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    You need to reroute that hose and get it far away from that universal joint set. It’s way too close. The hose is obviously routed the wrong way and needs to be put back to its original stock factory position. Any DOT inspector sees that he will put you out of service.
    That is the original factory position its nowhere near the u joint over 8 inches from it
    The tractor has a million miles on it how many DOT insps. would you imagine it has been through. the company it is leased to has a mandatory inspection schedule every 90 days.
    I notices the lines were just barely touching each other so rather than have them flop around the lines on the brake cans on the front diff have been tied together longer than we've had the truck
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 16, 2019 at 06:24 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 17, 2019), greyhoundollie (Aug 16, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    This has been a basic fix like forever. Have used it since the early 70s in my career as a mechanic. I just used a split hose over the original. Also used for tying a hose or cable away from a driveshaft or axle. As to the tiestraps, i always use at least two spaced apart. These straps dont last forever so check them regularly.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Chafing Protector to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information