Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cart for my hyd power unit

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Cart for my hyd power unit

While digging around in 1 of my sheds I uncovered an old Pressure washer cart
    This gave me the idea to mount my power unit on it because the size looked to be perfect
    Cart for my hyd power unit-20190822_161113aq.jpg

Cart for my hyd power unit-20190822_162948aq.jpg

Cart for my hyd power unit-20190822_163553aq.jpg

Cart for my hyd power unit-20190822_165158aq.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 24, 2019), Jon (Aug 22, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Aug 24, 2019), Scotty12 (Aug 23, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 23, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Your habit of spraying paint on fabricated stuff makes it look store bought.
    So what do you use to clean dirt and oil off this before painting? I assume a pressure wash, but then some sort of solvent that washes the oil film.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Your habit of spraying paint on fabricated stuff makes it look store bought.
    So what do you use to clean dirt and oil off this before painting? I assume a pressure wash, but then some sort of solvent that washes the oil film.
    I often use an angle grinder with a wire wheel or cup brush to remove some of the dead paint or decals then I dilute some KBS aquaclean in hot water then just use a solvent brush or a paint brush or an air siphon sprayer. if the stuff has a build up of grease and oil it may take a few applications then spray rinse blow dry and paint

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Aug 25, 2019)

Thanks
    Frank
    Very nice unit and I bet it works better than a porta-power.
    Nice Job
    Nelson

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    More info on the power unit?

I like to get a look under the hood.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    KBS aquaclean
    That product is pricey. I see the MSDS has three ingredients:
    Potassium Hydroxide
    Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether
    4-nonylphenol branched ethoxylated

So lye, and two other ingredients are surfactants and solvents.
    The KBS web site indicates the product is eco safe. But you clearly have to worry about toxicity and skin damage.
    The 3rd ingredient, the EU has flagged dangerous to the aquatic environment and regulates its use (first hits when doing a search). You can buy lye, but the other two are industrial sales only. Appear to be Dow Chemicals products, that comes up in a search. So the price is warranted by these ingredients not being common nor cheap to buy by anyone.
    You swear by KBS products, so $18/liter must be worth it. I'm guessing you stock pile the 15liter jug.

So when I searched for KBS Aquaclean, it must have brought up an Australian web site of theirs, using the link in your tag line brings up a much better price of $22/gal.
    Last edited by metric_taper; Aug 24, 2019 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    That product is pricey. I see the MSDS has three ingredients:
    Potassium Hydroxide
    Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether
    4-nonylphenol branched ethoxylated

So lye, and two other ingredients are surfactants and solvents.
    The KBS web site indicates the product is eco safe. But you clearly have to worry about toxicity and skin damage.
    The 3rd ingredient, the EU has flagged dangerous to the aquatic environment and regulates its use (first hits when doing a search). You can buy lye, but the other two are industrial sales only. Appear to be Dow Chemicals products, that comes up in a search. So the price is warranted by these ingredients not being common nor cheap to buy by anyone.
    You swear by KBS products, so $18/liter must be worth it. I'm guessing you stock pile the 15liter jug.

So when I searched for KBS Aquaclean, it must have brought up an Australian web site of theirs, using the link in your tag line brings up a much better price of $22/gal.
    Yes you want to wear rubber gloves especially if your skin is sensitive to such things.
    One word worth mentioning some people think using things full strength means better performance. Just the opposite with this stuff. Dilute it according to directions or you are just pouring money out. it work better with hot water as well.
    I've spilled it full strength on my bare hands and just wiped it off or rinsed it off with no ill effects but I also grew up washing parts in ethel gasoline with my bare hands.
    We used to make our own lye (potassium hydroxide) out of ashes to make soap for washing with when I was a kid
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 24, 2019 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    More info on the power unit?

I like to get a look under the hood.
    It started out as a power unit that hung from the post of your average 10 to 15 ton 4 post automotive truck lift with a 6 to 8 gallon plastic tank only I had installed it on a elevator that I made for some close friends up on Vashon Island WA. after nearly 20 years of use the coupling between the pump and the motor went bad rather than take a chance on finding a machine shop willing to make a new coupling we replaced the whole thing with a new unit. So I brought the old one home with me tossed it in my someday pile

3Hp hydraulic power unit

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Yes you want to wear rubber gloves especially if your skin is sensitive to such things.
    One word worth mentioning some people think using things full strength means better performance. Just the opposite with this stuff. Dilute it according to directions or you are just pouring money out. it work better with hot water as well.
    I've spilled it full strength on my bare hands and just wiped it off or rinsed it off with no ill effects but I also grew up washing parts in ethel gasoline with my bare hands.
    We used to make our own lye (potassium hydroxide) out of ashes to make soap for washing with when I was a kid
    I purchased a gallon, as I need to remove penetrating oils and such. As well, I'll wash the rusted floor first with this product, then apply the blaster product.
    Your a great sales testimonial for KBS.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I purchased a gallon, as I need to remove penetrating oils and such. As well, I'll wash the rusted floor first with this product, then apply the blaster product.
    Your a great sales testimonial for KBS.
    There is a learning curve to almost every product no mater who the manufacture is their paints love moisture such as high humidity but hate oils as do every other paint product I've ever used.

Thread Information