Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: leadscrew protection

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Good one Steve..I will add one to my 7x16. Keeping chips out of the lead screw will save me time cleaning them out after the fact.
    They do tend to jam up the half nut! I will only add the cover to the left side as almost all of the interfering chips originate
    from that side..

Cheers, JR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Back to the shop.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Lead screw protectors are not there to protect the lathe but rather the operator. The following is an extract from the Hare & Forbes site.
    Exposed rotating leadscrew shafts on lathes now can be guarded with the new release of LSGC covers, the steel concertina type system is designed to reduce the risk of the operator becoming accidentally entangled with the exposed rotating shafts. The kit will set you back $550 AUD. Safety ain’t cheap.
    There is a very good video on YT that shows a bloke clearing the threads with a piece of string. It is so simple and works very well. Cheers Stuart 🇦🇺

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I'm not worried about leadscrew wear. Given my age and the amount of threading I do, any wear problems with the lathe aren't worth my concern.

However, keeping swarf out of the screw is desirable. Here's my approach to doing that...

A sawed-off toothbrush head held to the carriage with a magnet will keep the lead screw free of swarf.

---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 26, 2024), Crusty (Sep 16, 2019), Home-PC (Jul 18, 2022), Saltfever (Oct 4, 2023), SculptyWorks (Sep 17, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounga View Post
    Lead screw protectors are not there to protect the lathe but rather the operator. The following is an extract from the Hare & Forbes site.
    Exposed rotating leadscrew shafts on lathes now can be guarded with the new release of LSGC covers, the steel concertina type system is designed to reduce the risk of the operator becoming accidentally entangled with the exposed rotating shafts. The kit will set you back $550 AUD. Safety ain’t cheap.
    There is a very good video on YT that shows a bloke clearing the threads with a piece of string. It is so simple and works very well. Cheers Stuart 🇦🇺

Thanks for your observation Stuart but I've never worried about getting wrapped around my leadscrew, maybe on a 10 footer there would be some possibility of danger but never seen any accidents with leadscrews. I would be more concerned with a piece of string creating a pinch point with my finger & rippin it off. I suppose it depends on how quick u hit the stop button but if u get both fingers caught then you're in a whole lotta trouble. Cheers

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I'm not worried about leadscrew wear. Given my age and the amount of threading I do, any wear problems with the lathe aren't worth my concern.

However, keeping swarf out of the screw is desirable. Here's my approach to doing that...

A sawed-off toothbrush head held to the carriage with a magnet will keep the lead screw free of swarf.

That's a neat trick for the same problem. You do use the auto feed on your lathe I assume? Therefore swarf would be wearing your half nuts & leadscrew. I'm 84 next month if I make it but @ least I don't need to clean the dam screw again!! Haha cheers mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevohdee View Post
    You do use the auto feed on your lathe I assume? Therefore swarf would be wearing your half nuts & leadscrew.
    I'm not sure what that statement means so I'll withhold comment. I will mention that the leadscrew is not used for auto feed; only for threading. Auto feed is provided by the drive rod you see underneath the leadscrew.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I'm not sure what that statement means so I'll withhold comment. I will mention that the leadscrew is not used for auto feed; only for threading. Auto feed is provided by the drive rod you see underneath the leadscrew.
    Haha oh sorry marv, I didn't peg that you had a real lathe, I've been talking Chinese mini lathe language where the one screw does both jobs and is called the leadscrew. Regards stevoh

Thanks
    I liked your video. Good Idea. Enjoyed the comic relief.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    A year ago on the YT video comments, you replied to a question "Great idea Steve, how long does it last before it needs replenishing?" with:

"Well... Funny u should ask Charles, the sandwich wrap did become altered over time, it was peeling off & causing jams @ the chuck end so I've come up with another solution. I'm working on it @ the present, fingers crossed, regards, steve"

Did you come up with that new solution?

Is that this video?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Jul 18, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Yes it is mate, once fitted i havent needed to clean screw, just pull cover back occasionly & pop a drop of oil on, cheers

Thread Information