Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motor Speed Controller Voltage Regulator Dimmer

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Michael Paley's Tools

Motor Speed Controller Voltage Regulator Dimmer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Michael Paley For This Useful Post:

Altair (Oct 13, 2019), dietmar g (Dec 4, 2021), fmerenda (Oct 21, 2019), Home-PC (Oct 14, 2019), Jon (Oct 17, 2019), Paul Jones (Nov 5, 2019), Redwoods (Oct 21, 2019), Slim-123 (Oct 14, 2019), Texf1 (Oct 21, 2019)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Thanks for sharing!
    Do you power this from a 16 amp outlet?
    Then you might profit by using at least AWG 16 wiring, an output fuse/ GFI and perhaps some vents in the box?

2 cents
    Johan

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,699 Times in 9,869 Posts

Thanks Michael Paley! We've added your Power Tool Speed Controller to our Electrical category,
    as well as to your builder page: Michael Paley's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Хорошее приобретение Майкл. Я тоже приобрёл такой регулятор. Но у меня есть один совет. При использовании регулятора более двух киловатт он сильно нагревается и ему нужно охлаждение. По этому сделай короб более доступный для охлаждения..

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    heh I should post my phase fired AC circuits. I actually make the electronics for these things. They're simple devices. The only trick is using the right AT leg on the triac for the input current. I think it has something do to with the topography of the device? All I really know is backwards they don't work. Alternating current has more polarity than most realize it does. More than I gave it credit for before messing with it. Autotransformers don't work hooked up backwards either. That's where I first discovered the phenomena for myself. Live and neutral are different beasts. But here's a schematic for the simplest dimmer http://i.imgur.com/GE3ZXqP.png and you tie the neutrals and run the live through the circuit. Here's what that looks like physically https://i.imgur.com/M7WENhG.jpg Not much to it.

Thanks

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Paley View Post
    thanks for the video. I’m definitely going to build one!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    There's so crazy, i just made this exact same thing with the same piece last night! No joke. It's so handy, this is like the 4th one I've made because everyone that sees it wants one!

Thanks
    What's the difference between this and the router speed control you can get at harbor freight or many other places? Is this one better for the tools or is it basically the same thing?

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadboye View Post
    What's the difference between this and the router speed control you can get at harbor freight or many other places? Is this one better for the tools or is it basically the same thing?
    I never looked inside the Harbor Freight speed controller. So I can't say for sure what's inside it. I would not say mine is any better for the tool. It may be more rugged than what you can buy commercially. I haven't looked in the HF speed controller but I've looked in others. The part that does the work in all of them (the TRIAC) tends to be marginal. Now maybe HF put a really good part in theirs? But if they did they'd be the first. Which is why I just made one. Because everything I have seen has all been junk. But semiconductor technology has come a ways. The decent TRIAC I did use did not cost me much to buy. Like 25 cents. You'd think the manufacturer would splurge if the part was that critical. So far I haven't seen it myself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pfredX1 For This Useful Post:

Chadboye (Dec 1, 2021)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    I use those modules, with a 30A full wave bridge rectifier, to make up speed controllers for 180VDC treadmill motors. They work well, and I have yet to see a need to add any smoothing capacitors on the output, but it is still an option.

Thread Information