Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free hacksaw blades and how to make them

Thanks

xynudu's Tools

Free hacksaw blades and how to make them

Re-purpose broken metal cutting bandsaw blades to make metal ripping hacksaw blades for quickly cutting through solid stock.

NOTE: these are not suitable for thin walled steel.

Cheers Rob

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to xynudu For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Oct 26, 2019), baja (Oct 19, 2019), Biggus1942 (Feb 17, 2023), bilbo88 (Jan 22, 2022), Brexit Boy (Oct 18, 2019), DavesRepaircom (Oct 19, 2019), Drew1966 (Oct 20, 2019), EnginePaul (Oct 21, 2019), johncg (Dec 14, 2021), Jon (Oct 18, 2019), Moby Duck (Oct 18, 2019), mr mikey (Sep 15, 2023), Mr.Pete (Oct 18, 2019), n9dug (Oct 19, 2019), olderdan (Oct 18, 2019), old_toolmaker (Oct 19, 2019), Paul Jones (Oct 28, 2019), Redwoods (Oct 21, 2019), rlm98253 (Oct 20, 2019), saintrain (Nov 10, 2019), sossol (Oct 18, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Dec 11, 2021), tuchie (Feb 16, 2023), Tule (Oct 21, 2019), Tuomas (Oct 18, 2019), uv8452 (Dec 11, 2021), volodar (Oct 20, 2019), WmRMeyers (Feb 20, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks xynudu! We've added your Hacksaw Blade to our Hacksaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: xynudu's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

tuchie (Sep 14, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Great idea, and not scroogy or chintzy at all. The increased pitch of bandsaw blades will reduce labor on heavy cuts, the raker set outdoing wave set [like a hacksaw blade] six ways from Sunday.
    But may contest self-labeling as Ultimate Scrooge!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Great idea, and not scroogy or chintzy at all. The increased pitch of bandsaw blades will reduce labor on heavy cuts, the raker set outdoing wave set [like a hacksaw blade] six ways from Sunday.
    But may contest self-labeling as Ultimate Scrooge!
    Agreed, my problem is well it really is not a problem as much as it is the lack of available good still sharp blades. My band saw blades tend not to break and when they start to become dull from passing through the many miles of materials the teeth have very little left in them to do any more cutting as a hack saw or a hole saw. but occasionally I will get a blade that will for what ever reason have a string of teeth go smooth while the rest of the blade is still quite sharp. It happens rarely and usually due to not having enough teeth in the cut on thinner materials with excessive down pressure. But I have run into materials that are poor grades of steel having ball bearing like hardness pockets which will turn a blade into a smooth toothless ribbon almost instantly That is when the stock gets ripped out of the saw and cut with a radiac blade on a chop saw
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    The bandsaw blade here at work snapped yesterday. Only been used a couple of times and is still razor sharp. Very good timing as I am finalising my power hacksaw build this weekend. I never thought of grabbing the old blade and re-purposing it for that. But I will now! Thank you for the tip.

Thanks

Mrah

Cool idea,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Great idea Rob, I do not have a bandsaw but I have a reel of blade that I picked up years ago, now I have a possible use for it at last.

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Great idea both with the bandsaw blade and the carbide burrs. I have a small power hacksaw that only takes 10” blades and they are almost impossible to find in NZ. I will now be able to take standard 12” blades and shorten the hole spacing using the burrs. Why didn’t I think of that before. Thanks for the idea.

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    xynudu,

Excellent video!! Thank you for posting!!

I have used a similar method to shorten a standard 10" blade to fit an antique Union hacksaw frame that uses 8" blades. Great topic!
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts
    Congratulations xynudu - your Hacksaw Blades From Bandsaw Blades Method is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Clever! People on this forum are going to get a lot of use out of this technique. I like how you also submitted another trick this week for turning bandsaw blades into metal hole saws.

Some more good builds from this week:

Vise by Kwandotechnic
    Knife Guard Slot Saw by Stevohdee
    Heavy Duty Press Brake by jonlegrand1
    Spinning Tool by thehomeengineer
    Metal Hole Saw by xynudu
    Bead Roller by thehomeengineer
    MIG Pliers Fix by Little Rabbit
    Lead Hammer by Retro Steam Tech
    Backhoe by htavaresportugal
    Lathe Steady Rest by h7eh7e
    Saw Blade Holder by rgsparber
    Angle Plates by celsoari
    Chop Saw by Tuomas
    Wood Clamp by RCTURKA
    Indexing Fixture by ttmrj
    Rip Cut Jig by Didpoolhall
    Corn Mill by Mr.DK DIY
    Angle Grinder by mariost
    Hydro Flask Air Leak by rgsparber
    Bed Mounted Shovel Bins by PB Machines
    Storage Rack by bobs409
    Bandsaw Sled by Make Things
    Tow Truck Bed by PB Machines

xynudu - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and award choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Oct 25, 2019)

Thread Information