Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The house next door...or how to NOT build a house

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Cement pumper here, guys scurrying around finishing the forms.

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-photo_2019-10-17_09-22-42.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Pouring above, adding bracing below. No cement vibrator in sight.

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-photo_2019-10-17_10-58-51.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    They all packed up and went home, but it looks like they forgot to finish one section.

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-photo_2019-10-17_18-41-34.jpg

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-photo_2019-10-17_18-41-42.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    You mentioned you didn't see a single vibrator For a pour that high they must have used super plasticizers and maintained a very low air entrainment factor with small to medium aggregate not more then 1" the plasticizers would allow for a high workability with a high slump without the need to have a very wet mixture.
    You also mentioned they were still adding more bracing could they also have been slapping the forms to settle the concrete. I doubt if I will ever understand why here in the states contractors use that OSB panel instead of Phenolic film plywood for their forms. I guess it boils down to cost and availability here in the USA.
    We tend to think of it as an exotic form of plywood while in many countries it is considered the norm to be used as forming materials. One thing is for sure the 18mm phenolic plywood will yield a glass smooth finish to the pour.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    One thing is for sure the 18mm phenolic plywood will yield a glass smooth finish to the pour.
    Amen to that, Frank. Not only will the surface finish be smooth, but also when cutting these sheets,
    the edges and its splints are sharp like razor wire, and won't easily bend or break away,
    and these mothers will cut right thru your glove and into your hand like a surgeon's scalpel if you're not attentive.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    This morning they topped off the part of the form that wasn't finished last night. I can't believe they left it partly filled overnight, that's got to make a poor seam.

They've spend the day stripping and cutting up the rest of the forms to haul off. I'll see about getting a photo when they knock off for the day.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Topped off the part they forgot.

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-photo_2019-10-18_16-55-39.jpg

Some patching needed

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-photo_2019-10-18_16-55-30.jpg

You see, they were going to use vibrators but when they called Good Vibrations and asked for a 14 foot vibrator the sales person passed out.
    Last edited by jdurand; Oct 18, 2019 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    That's a poor quality pour the jack hammers should already be hammering away. But they will probably just spray it with shotcrete or gunite like you would do a pool and tell the homeowner that is how it should be done.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    A lot of the forms are still up but I see they're carving on the bit they did uncover.

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-photo_2019-10-19_16-01-16.jpg

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    something sure doesn't look as if it went exactly as planned but maybe they are having to carve due to a change after the forms had been put in place or maybe what ever needs placed there it is easier to carve out the relief. But for what ever reason there still seems to be a lot of voids tat are going to require filling which should not have happened. If you see voids like these in as many places as we can from our limited view angle there are probably even larger more numerous voids we cannot see. This pour needs sounded 100%.
    If not then let's hope it is only a 1 or 2 story But I'm not up on residential all that much all I know is any civil engineer I ever worked with would have that entire pour brought down he wouldn't even consider allowing an inspector seeing it to write up a report. What would have been the big deal to rent a few vibrators for a day?

Thread Information