Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: COE semi converted to camper - photo

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts

COE semi converted to camper - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Feb 15, 2020), Seedtick (Sep 20, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Sep 20, 2019), Wildwilly (Nov 26, 2021)

Thanks
    Does it require a CDL ?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Not unless it is for hire. Otherwise just a vehicle with diesel engine.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    I have to admit it. I like that one. It should be able to go about anywhere I might want to try taking it.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    A heavy tractor like that with no load to speak of on the tires will tend to do horizontal cartwheels when hard braking on wet pavement. Wet road bobtailing was always white knuckle driving for me and I'd much rather have been hauling a load.

CDL requirement depends on Gross Vehicle Weight, even for non-commercial vehicles. If I remember correctly the cutoff is 26,000#.
    Last edited by Crusty; Sep 22, 2019 at 07:28 AM.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Sep 28, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts
    1941 Ford COE truck camper.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...r_fullsize.jpg

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 19, 2019), blkadder (Feb 15, 2020), Ed Weldon (Oct 18, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The beauty of this approach is that unlike a modern van the cab and frame are separate so there is far more flexibility in engineering and constructing the front end of the vehicle to meet your own preferences driver position and power train layouts. The down side is that the prewar COE cabs are getting pretty rare and command stiff prices if in any easy to work with condition. I suppose an ordinary pickup cab up through the mid 50's could be restyled with a short nose and grille and positioned higher up.
    If you can do a decent job of styling and building the necessary bodywork it could be a cool looking ride. That's easier said than done. I think if I were contemplating such a build I'd invest in some 1/25 plastic model truck kits and do my preliminary design explorations in that medium.
    There is a substantial model builder sub-culture in the western world devoted to building and customizing plastic model kits. One might be able to find images of models just like I suggest. Wouldn't it be neat if you could come up with a body design that could be built with a stock post war pickup using mostly thin cutoff wheel power tools and rivets (rat rod styling). Watch out for the windshield if narrowing the cab is needed. That could be the hardest part of the job in the full size construction effort.

Thanks
    Crusty, good point but I don't see where it would be any worse than a school bus conversion. You don't have a lot of weight in the rear end of one of those either when it's converted to a camper.
    Last edited by Lee Bell; Oct 18, 2019 at 11:30 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The school bus conversion is pretty easy. This COE has a custom body behind it. Ford built these as cab-chassis units for other manufacturers to add bodies to. This example looks modern; but I wouldn't bet high on that. The beauty of the COE is minimum vehicle length. When you get into camper rigs this is important if you get off paved roads and need room for sleeping quarters plus a little extra for gear, cooking, etc.

Plus the smaller, lighter vehicle keeps costs down. And then there is the advantage of engineering this kind of body on to a conventional pickup with all the common parts that such an approach offers. The extra 2-3 feet of payload space gained by moving the driver forward counts for a lot. So why not just a van conversion and be like everyone else? For a lot of us that question answers itself. I'll never get another van, myself (hard to work on).

Thanks
    Looks like they just rested the body from an older GMC motor home over the semi running gear. I really like the looks of that conversion. I would think that maintenance could be a bit tricky on that one.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Thread Information