Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bead roller

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,050 Times in 405 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Bead roller

Hi All
    I have completed the main part of the bead roller made from 50 mm box section and 25 mm diameter shafts. There are still bits I have to make such as the dies and sort the motor drive out.

Bead roller-completed-bead-roller.jpg

I have decided to use a clutched 1/2 HP industrial sewing machine motor which is ideal as it is single phase.

Bead roller-clutch-motor-2.jpg Bead roller-clutched-motor.jpg

I have added a lot of features such as a toggle clamp to maintain the die pressure so repeat ability can be maintained if making several parts with the same die and gauge material

Bead roller-die-clamping-open.jpg

Toggle clamp open (tension springs to be to fitted to lift shaft bearing housing to give clearance for material to be positioned the toggle clamp will then extend the tension springs and lock the dies to desired depth)

Bead roller-die-clamping-closed.jpg

Toggle clamp closed. Pressure can be increased or decreased via the locking clamp.

I have also locked the two arms to prevent springing and incorporated the fence/stop to be mounted to this brace.
    Adjustable bead roller stop/fence

Bead roller-brace-clamps-missing-knob.jpg Bead roller-place.jpg

The gear drive was calculated to give the desired distance between the shafts centres and ordered from eBay. There is also a locking clamp that can be seen in the photo which allows the shaft to move to align the dies, but still allows the gears to mesh to maintain the drive of both shafts.

Bead roller-gear-drive.jpg

There is a manual hand wheel which can either be removed completely or just unscrew the handles when the motor drive is in use.

Bead roller-drive-pulley-hand-wheel.jpg

Other views of bead roller.

Bead roller-back-assembly.jpg Bead roller-completed-assembly.jpg Bead roller-brace-fence-assembly.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to view
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Apr 15, 2020), Jon (Oct 22, 2019), Stevohdee (Oct 23, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Bead Roller to our Bead Rollers category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information