Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lathe steady REST Panova _ New

Thanks

h7eh7e's Tools

lathe steady REST Panova _ New

I will show you the rest of my authorship.
    lathe steady REST Panova _ New-_-13.jpglathe steady REST Panova _ New-_-36.jpglathe steady REST Panova _ New-_-40.jpglathe steady REST Panova _ New-_-61.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to h7eh7e For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 25, 2019), BrianW (Oct 24, 2019), charles scozzari (Sep 16, 2023), drivermark (Oct 27, 2019), fergiomaria (Feb 22, 2023), hemmjo (Sep 16, 2023), Jon (Oct 23, 2019), kboy0076 (Feb 22, 2023), LMMasterMariner (Nov 3, 2019), nashty1 (Oct 28, 2019), Ralphxyz (Dec 14, 2021), rayh__ (Dec 10, 2021), Saltfever (Jan 10, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Dec 11, 2021), Tule (Oct 28, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks h7eh7e! We've added your Lathe Steady Rest to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: h7eh7e's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

h7eh7e (Dec 15, 2021)

Thanks
    This looks good. I have been wanting to make a fixed steady for goodness knows how long and this gives me an idea for a simple effective build.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans Pearson For This Useful Post:

h7eh7e (Dec 15, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    That is one nice build. Certainly nice to see a different approach to an age old device.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

h7eh7e (Dec 15, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I really like it; especially by leverage taking place of small diameter fine threads for accurate adjustment! Brilliant, no question. And the frame, a section of heavier wall pipe/ tubing, points out many alternatives to heavy castings.
    Again, Terrific concept. In one way, not surprising, you do such good fabrication work on those sanders and grinders.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

h7eh7e (Dec 15, 2021)

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Does anyone know why the lathe tool had that texture from the toolpost to the shaped cutter? While I was watching it in use, I kept wondering what would have made those marks and are they there for some particular reason, or are they just an artifact of the manufacturing process? I thought it was a spring in the video's thumbnail, which begat many more questions. Oh, and the steady rest is very nice, too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to schuylergrace For This Useful Post:

h7eh7e (Dec 15, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    Does anyone know why the lathe tool had that texture from the toolpost to the shaped cutter? While I was watching it in use, I kept wondering what would have made those marks and are they there for some particular reason, or are they just an artifact of the manufacturing process? I thought it was a spring in the video's thumbnail, which begat many more questions. Oh, and the steady rest is very nice, too.
    Hard to know what period you refer to, out of 15 minutes of video. Hover cursor at the general frames in question and the time is displayed. Closest thing I see resembling a spring occurs turning OD of the spud outboard of the steady rest; it's cutting through crests of threaded portion. Change in profile and surface finish makes helix of thread root a bit more visible.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

h7eh7e (Dec 15, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The concept is spot on although the geometry of the pivots are completely wrong, The whole Idea of a steady is to have the supporting points as near opposite the induced stresses created by the turning cutter as possible. This steady does not accomplish this, stop the video atr the 13:40 and you will see what I mean
    By changing the clocking of the pivots from the 12-4-8 positions to the 1-5-9 and angling the adjustment bolt on the rear arm to about 30° from the angle it is mounted now this will bring the rollers closer to the true pressure points needed over a wider range of diameters it will still be a compromise as all steadies are to a certain point but will be much closer than what he has now
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

h7eh7e (Dec 15, 2021), Ralphxyz (Feb 3, 2024)

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Hard to know what period you refer to, out of 15 minutes of video. Hover cursor at the general frames in question and the time is displayed. Closest thing I see resembling a spring occurs turning OD of the spud outboard of the steady rest; it's cutting through crests of threaded portion. Change in profile and surface finish makes helix of thread root a bit more visible.
    About half-way through, when he starts machining parts, I noticed the tool he is using, not the part he's making, has what looks like machining marks running around its circumference from the tool post out to where the cutter is ground. The texture is almost like the tool was 3D printed. I'm guessing it may have been cast, and those are marks from where the mold was originally carved out. It doesn't have anything to do with the piece he's making, just something odd I saw and couldn't figure out.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to schuylergrace For This Useful Post:

h7eh7e (Dec 15, 2021)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Isn't it just coarse feed turning marks? Guess he DIYed the tool out of square stock, turned a taper to it,
    then torched the tip and bent it before he finally brazed a carbide tip on it?

lathe steady REST Panova _ New-rh-tool.png

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

h7eh7e (Dec 15, 2021), schuylergrace (Dec 13, 2021)

Thread Information