Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: spinning tools

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,050 Times in 405 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

spinning tools

Hi All

This is a tool i use when spinning on my Colchester Student lathe. The photo below shows the external tool, when it comes in contact with the material the steel diameter rotates as it is on bearings as you force the sheet material over the former.

spinning tools-external-tool-2.jpg spinning tools-external-tool.jpg

This is the tool I use on internal diameters

spinning tools-internal-tool.jpg

The photos below show the former's I had to make to produce the differential brass covers. The first thing was to cut the material into a washer shape and anneal. The material then has the internal diameter pressed on the hydraulic press to deform the material with two passes so the material doesn't crack (two different diameters on the press tool) annealing after each pressing. The die is then transferred to the lathe and the work piece is then trapped between the two former's (pressure turning)Basic setup and method for pressure turning in the lathe. The external spinning tool is then forced into the material to flow over the former while the lathe is rotating at about 400 RPM. (several times being removed and annealed to prevent cracking) Once over the former both the internal and external lengths are trimmed (part off to desired lengths) The internal diameter dimension is first trimmed as a jubilee clip holds the work piece to former. and then pressure turn so the external can be cut.

The former's are rusty as this job was done several years ago and they have just been under the bench.

spinning tools-press-tool.jpg spinning tools-die-piunch.jpg spinning tools-dies-2nd-op.jpg spinning tools-dies.jpg

The photo below shows one side of the diff with the completed brass cover in place.

spinning tools-spun-diff-cover.jpg

The photo below shows another spinning I made which is a 10" diameter cladding clamping ring

spinning tools-spun-rear-cladding-brass-clamp.jpg

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 25, 2019), DIYer (Oct 23, 2019), Jon (Oct 23, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Oct 27, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Dec 12, 2021), Philip Davies (Oct 25, 2019), rendoman (Oct 23, 2019), rossbotics (Oct 24, 2019), sossol (Oct 25, 2019), Stevohdee (Oct 24, 2019), volodar (Oct 26, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Spinning Tool to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    it would nice to see you spin something.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,050 Times in 405 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Unfortunately I have quite a few projects on the go at the moment but haven’t had a need to do any spinning but when the opportunity arises I will do a video and post on HMT

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

homey_g (Dec 8, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Oct 27, 2019)

Thread Information