Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: old bench lathe

Thanks

celsoari's Tools
    I suspect this lathe is a Portass. There are some similarities. The cover of the reduction train gears are identical. The support of flat pulleys is also identical.
    however the bed and feet are quite different.old bench lathe-img14.jpgold bench lathe-images1.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    It appears you have a Brazilian lathe actually made by a company called Sociedade Technica Bremensis. I found an actual reference from a book called "Brazil In The Making" published in 1943. They reference them as a machinery manufacturer. (https://archive.org/stream/brazilinm...0jobi_djvu.txt) Again, given that there is so little information about the company or the lathe, you probably have, if not a great piece, perhaps a museum piece from the Brazilian Industrial Revolution. As far as being a South Bend Lathe copy, there were many similarities in lathes of the time as nearly half (47%) of the lathes in the United States and at one time were made by the South Bend Lathe Company. They started in 1906. Our company has a lathe from between 1921 and 1931, judging by the number only serial number 33807 (see pictures). To me, the drive belt tension system seems quite different but like I said in an earlier post, it could be a "Frankenlathe" built from different machines or different designs. Anyway, You might have an historical piece of machinery! Hopefully you can confirm some facts to be sure.
    old bench lathe-south-bend-lathe-33807-2.jpgold bench lathe-south-bend-lathe-33807.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 12, 2019)

Thanks

celsoari's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    It appears you have a Brazilian lathe actually made by a company called Sociedade Technica Bremensis. I found an actual reference from a book called "Brazil In The Making" published in 1943. They reference them as a machinery manufacturer. (https://archive.org/stream/brazilinm...0jobi_djvu.txt) Again, given that there is so little information about the company or the lathe, you probably have, if not a great piece, perhaps a museum piece from the Brazilian Industrial Revolution. As far as being a South Bend Lathe copy, there were many similarities in lathes of the time as nearly half (47%) of the lathes in the United States and at one time were made by the South Bend Lathe Company. They started in 1906. Our company has a lathe from between 1921 and 1931, judging by the number only serial number 33807 (see pictures). To me, the drive belt tension system seems quite different but like I said in an earlier post, it could be a "Frankenlathe" built from different machines or different designs. Anyway, You might have an historical piece of machinery! Hopefully you can confirm some facts to be sure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	South Bend Lathe 33807 - 2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	328.3 KB 
ID:	32009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	South Bend Lathe 33807.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	32010
    the bed of my lathe has no markings or serial numbers, at least apparently. I found this photo frame very similar to mine. do you have other views of him?
    Looking at the lathes.uk link, I came across the Brown and Dandy lathe ("Brown" and "Dandy" Lathes) in chicago and also found similarities. what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old bench lathe-dandy-2.jpg   old bench lathe-dandy.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information