Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: front grill gard haul rack combo

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

front grill gard haul rack combo

I wasn't going to publish this until I had time to finish it but today the opportunity came up to make a trip to the steel supply making the grill gard/ haul rack an official tool in use I'll go ahead and publish.
    the grill guard is made of 1 1/4" sch 40 pipe with 2 1/2" vertical supports.
    later it will have some bars and more smaller pipes added to finish the guard portion
    the haul rack telescopes to above the top of the cab it is made out of 2" pipe and 1 1/2" pipe
    the temporarily the front bumper was welded in place
    front grill gard  haul rack combo-bumper6.jpg

front grill gard  haul rack combo-bumprr5.jpg

front grill gard  haul rack combo-bumper4.jpg

front grill gard  haul rack combo-20191106_120748asw.jpg
    a load of purlin to begin the roof of my shop
    front grill gard  haul rack combo-20191112_163248asw.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Nov 15, 2019), Crusty (Nov 16, 2019), Drew1966 (Nov 14, 2019), Jon (Nov 14, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Nov 15, 2019), metric_taper (Nov 14, 2019), Scotty12 (Nov 14, 2019), Seedtick (Nov 14, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Pickup Hauling Rack to our Automotive category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    This frame extension modification all makes sense now, with your posts on the truck repairs and 'cattle guard' addition. All leading up to making a heavy haul of material.
    I've hauled long boards in my light duty 1/2 ton, via a home built ladder rack using the existing side board holes in the truck box. This front support would have been handy when hauling 16' material.
    How is the perlin install going? I'm guessing you've made a crane to 'fly' them in place.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    This frame extension modification all makes sense now, with your posts on the truck repairs and 'cattle guard' addition. All leading up to making a heavy haul of material.
    I've hauled long boards in my light duty 1/2 ton, via a home built ladder rack using the existing side board holes in the truck box. This front support would have been handy when hauling 16' material.
    How is the perlin install going? I'm guessing you've made a crane to 'fly' them in place.
    Right now I have been removing the body from a school buss the body is 36 ft long and I am going to lift it up and place it on top of the container to be either an office or for storage later I will build an elevator for raising heavy items
    Thinking about mounting scaffolding on the bus chassis making it just less than the height under the trusses. I can platform the top of the scaffolding and install folding safety rails that way I can roll the bus to where I need it and have a platform wide enough and long enough to install at least 2 of the 30 ft purlins spanning 3 trusses without having to move my scaffold rig it will be handy for installing the insulation and roof materials as well

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    If your 6x2C channel is .2 inch material, that's pretty heavy for 30ft, 8.2lbs/ft ~246lbs (lightest beam in 6 inch C shape; C6x8.2). But you indicated you hauled less then 1000lbs, and 10 of these are 2.5ton, so I'm missing something. Add in the side wall beams, 4) C4X5.4 @30ft (or were these C4X7.25?).

Elevator should be interesting to see what you come up with.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    If your 6x2C channel is .2 inch material, that's pretty heavy for 30ft, 8.2lbs/ft ~246lbs (lightest beam in 6 inch C shape; C6x8.2). But you indicated you hauled less then 1000lbs, and 10 of these are 2.5ton, so I'm missing something. Add in the side wall beams, 4) C4X5.4 @30ft (or were these C4X7.25?).

Elevator should be interesting to see what you come up with.
    This is C purlin not C channel the 6x2 Purlins weight 2.63 lbf 789 lbs for 10 pieces
    the 4 x1 1/2 purlin weight is 1.91 lbf 286.5lb for 5 pieces
    the 6 " connector sleeve is roughly same weight per ft so 65.75 lbs for 1 25 ft stick
    same goes for the 4 " connector sleeve so 38.2 lbs for 1 20 ft stick
    total weight around 1179.45
    it takes over 6000 lbs in the bed of the old truck before the springs reach the overload helpers.
    But with the load situated so far forward due to the length and my front end can only take a max of 5600 lbs total and empty there is 3,200 on the steer so given that 2/3rds the load was being carried on the front axle around 786 lbs of the load was on the steer bringing the axle load up to just shy of 4000.
    I would have preferred they had loaded me about 3 feet further to the rear even if I would have needed to flag it due to having a 6 ft overhang to the rear instead of the less than 3 ft that I had but it was what it was the next time it will be loaded further to the rear as I plan on reducing the 3 remaining trips into 2 or I may just go for 30 more of the 6" purlin and 1 more 6" connector sleeve which will complete the roof requirement

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I see steel perlins, but they are in the Z shape. C form never came up with quick search. So 80lbs is not the worse dead lift. But I know at my age that is getting dangerous, in a 30ft length.
    I'm 2 years behind you. Worse, I have an allergy to any OTC NSAID, including aspirin. I had been using Ibuprofen for the past 30 years, and now can't use anything.

At least you can keep working through some of the winter, except for the random snow fall in your area. Amarillo shows average of 19 inches. I guess you have to fight that too.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I see steel perlins, but they are in the Z shape. C form never came up with quick search. So 80lbs is not the worse dead lift. But I know at my age that is getting dangerous, in a 30ft length.
    I'm 2 years behind you. Worse, I have an allergy to any OTC NSAID, including aspirin. I had been using Ibuprofen for the past 30 years, and now can't use anything.

At least you can keep working through some of the winter, except for the random snow fall in your area. Amarillo shows average of 19 inches. I guess you have to fight that too.
    Yeah anyone who has never been to West Texas or the Panhandle in the winter during one of the random thankfully not very frequent snow storms don't even believe it ever snows in TX. Also another fortunate thing for us is it may be near zero one day with a North wind blowing across the barbed wire fence at a steady 35 to 45 MPH with a 3 to 6 inch snow fall one day then be nearly 80° then settle in mid 50's for a week or so.
    One year quite a number of years back An Aunt and Uncle drove down for a visit from northern Colorado in Mid October At the time I was living Near Dalhart, the afternoon they arrived it was in the low 80s' the next morning there was 18" of snow on the ground with the wind howling and the mercury didn't seem to eve want to stop falling finally leveled off just above zero. My Aunt could do nothing but complain that she was freezing to death the whole time they were visiting saying that back home when it got to near zero they could still wear short sleeved shirts. I just told her to stick around in a few days it would be warm enough to go swimming again.
    Some friends dropped by this Oct in their 95 Prevost motor coach from Ct. for a couple weeks while here he helped me install the trusses on the shop also he got to experience first hand the Texas weather mood swings an early light dusting of snow the mercury going from mid 70's one day to 10° the next morning then back into the 60's a couple days later. On their way back through from Las Vegas they dropped the motorhome off for me to do some work on it over the winter

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I used to carry sticks of steel slung below my truck frame on chains but general driver competence has become so low these days that I'd be afraid of someone else driving into the extended sticks unless I cut a small car body in half and strapped each half to the ends of the sticks.

Now that grill guard looks like something than not even my dad could bend.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I used to carry sticks of steel slung below my truck frame on chains but general driver competence has become so low these days that I'd be afraid of someone else driving into the extended sticks unless I cut a small car body in half and strapped each half to the ends of the sticks.

Now that grill guard looks like something than not even my dad could bend.
    When I get around to adding in the rest of the guard bars it should be a deterrent to the random hog or deer destroying the front end of the old truck, I could encounter at night around here.

Thread Information