Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I believe I will want a HF/LIFT switchable welder for optimum use. Haven't looked too closely for what's available.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Made the 150 mile round trip today to the steel supply and picked up some purlins for the roof and the north side of the shop
    the purlins are 30 ft long
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20191112_163248asw.jpg
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20191112_163233asw.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 12, 2019 at 09:10 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Nice load of material there Frank S. And the suppliers in a BIG right proper building with O/H cranes!
    What kept you from hauling it home?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Nice load of material there Frank S. And the suppliers in a BIG right proper building with O/H cranes!
    What kept you from hauling it home?
    3 things. their unreasonable unwillingness to part with it, the $$$$$$$ to buy it and I took the wrong truck with me to accomplish the job. but I did tell them I'd be back
    I'd just a soon taken the whole building equipment and inventory and all.
    However if I could locate the correct QL thinker in the pool of universal intelligence and link up with it I cold tweak the laws of the universe then think the building and contents instantaneously transported to my place. Like in the novel Moving Mars by Greg Bear where Charles Franklin and young President Casseia manage to move mars to another solar system to end a war with Earth.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    3 things. their unreasonable unwillingness to part with it, the $$$$$$$ to buy it and I took the wrong truck with me to accomplish the job. but I did tell them I'd be back
    I'd just a soon taken the whole building equipment and inventory and all.
    However if I could locate the correct QL thinker in the pool of universal intelligence and link up with it I cold tweak the laws of the universe then think the building and contents instantaneously transported to my place. Like in the novel Moving Mars by Greg Bear where Charles Franklin and young President Casseia manage to move mars to another solar system to end a war with Earth.

Frank, you must have edited out something in the earlier post showing your truck ladder rack loaded with steel, as Toolmaker must have seen something that said you didn't haul the load. Unless he was joking about hauling the whole supply warehouse home.
    These perlins look like 2x4 rectangular stock. Not sure, as your photos didn't show the ends. So how heavy is each one of these 'sticks' to put up on the trusses? I assume you are welding them in place. I think you wrote somewhere that you salvaged all the tin from the original building.
    At least you can keep working this through the winter.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Frank, you must have edited out something in the earlier post showing your truck ladder rack loaded with steel, as Toolmaker must have seen something that said you didn't haul the load. Unless he was joking about hauling the whole supply warehouse home.
    These perlins look like 2x4 rectangular stock. Not sure, as your photos didn't show the ends. So how heavy is each one of these 'sticks' to put up on the trusses? I assume you are welding them in place. I think you wrote somewhere that you salvaged all the tin from the original building.
    At least you can keep working this through the winter.
    Toolmaker 51 was referring to the cranes in the building. He and I have gained the ability to see each other's thought which may not otherwise been fully explained. we do joke with each other quite a bit.
    the purlins are 6 x 2 C purlin 30 feet long and 4 x 1 1/2" c purlin 30 feet long there were 10 pieces of the 6 inch and 5 of the 4 inch additionally there was 1 6" connector sleeve channel 25 feet long and 1 4 inch connector sleeve channel 20 feet long. the total weight was around 1,000 lbs. Not much of a load for the old truck but enough of a load on my wallet for a while. this material will be enough to construct 1/4 of the roof and half of the North wall so in effect I will have a lean to for a while LOL
    I may have to invent a trick way to get things installed doing the work largely by myself. Also I will have to fix some straps or clips to hold the 4 b8 panels of insulation in place between the purlins before I put the sheet metal on the roof the sheets are 36 ft long that in itself will be a challenge at least for the first couple of sheets
    Yes the purlins will be welded in place with angle clips as well and bridging straps to prevent what is known as rollover buckling.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I do understand how expensive buying steel is and why you were the only one impressed with my cheap steel truckload score.

The thought that you have to repeat this purchase 3 more times is daunting - keep buying a lotto ticket every week, you could hit.

Still though, working in an airy shed is better than under a live oak tree. I mix diesel and ATF in a gas can which I use in sprayers to liberally coat my tools every time I think about it and keep them wrapped with poly tarps when not in use and they're fairing pretty well under a tree, so it's possible to continue work without a bona fide workshop.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 14, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    What to do with an old school bus. I know I will remove it from the chassis and place it on top of the container to be an office and storage combo
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20191115_143647zsa.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20191117_150925xsa.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20191118_155700zsa.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20191118_160114zsa.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20191118_162823zsa.jpg
    Just wait until you see what I do with this
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20191118_160142zsa.jpg

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Rikk (Nov 19, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Nov 18, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    What to do with an old school bus. I know I will remove it from the chassis and place it on top of the container to be an office and storage combo

Just wait until you see what I do with this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191118_160142zsa.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	350.9 KB 
ID:	32155
    You don't goof around much!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Toolmaker 51 was referring to the cranes in the building. He and I have gained the ability to see each other's thought which may not otherwise been fully explained. we do joke with each other quite a bit.
    Frank S is correct. I [we] read posts and visualize, or look at jpgs and assemble the details. He was born with it.
    My perspectives are induced.
    I think he slipped little sumpthin-summin in my lime sherbet.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information