Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pickup Bed Hoist

Thanks
    Tried to load an image of my rig but it kept failing. It's just a jpg and not very big. Anybody have a suggestion? I followed the tutorial and I've uploaded pics to other things without a problem.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I have that problem from time to time and I usually find that if I shut down my browser and restart it then I'm able to upload images for a while.

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Tried to load an image of my rig but it kept failing. It's just a jpg and not very big. Anybody have a suggestion? I followed the tutorial and I've uploaded pics to other things without a problem.
    In your photo viewer or editing program look in the tools area ad see if you can locate either a resize feature or a crop feature sometimes just by cropping extra area outside of the subject area will be enough to allow posting then save it as a new name by adding any number or letter after it when you close the program it will ask you if you want to save the changes select no to retain the original. When I resize from my camera or phone I usually reduce the size to somewhere around 940 for the larger number. I've never had a problem posing when doing one or the other and sometimes both of these suggestions
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Okay, resizing to a max of 900 seems to work. I agree that taking your time to decide how to accessorize is good. In the photo I'm using a block and tackle from Tractor Supply that has a jam mechanism for the rope so you don't have to tie the rope off. But I'd like to add a 12V winch, one of those $49 jobs from Harbor Freight. I just need to spend some time figuring out how to attach it so it doesn't get in the way of rotating the crane arm. Normally the crane sits lower because I keep a top on the bed. Down low is where the problem of rotation freedom shows up.

Pickup Bed Hoist-unloading-gen.jpg

Thanks
    Okay, resizing to a max of 900 seems to work. I agree that taking your time to decide how to accessorize is good. In the photo I'm using a block and tackle from Tractor Supply that has a jam mechanism for the rope so you don't have to tie the rope off. But I'd like to add a 12V winch, one of those $49 jobs from Harbor Freight. I just need to spend some time figuring out how to attach it so it doesn't get in the way of rotating the crane arm.
    Pickup Bed Hoist-unloading-gen.jpg
    Sorry for the double post. I thought it didn't work at first so posted it again. I'll learn eventually.
    Last edited by JoeH; Nov 16, 2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: apologizing for duplicate post

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprig1 View Post
    I've got one that my Dad built it mounts in the 2 inch hitch receiver. I have the hitch receiver in the middle and I welded another 2 inch receiver out by the edge of the frame. The crane mounts on the outside edge about the same position as if it was in the bed. You can easily take it on and off. The tailgate has to be off to use it. I've only used it once to move a small millstone. If you want I can take some pictures. I think it would be much more convenient then having one mounted permanently in the bed of the truck.
    I would like to see pics. I have been wanting to mount one outside the box connected to the hitch and probably frame, with a drop leg for when in use. I don't mind taking it off and only installing it when going to collect something. I think a mounting plate that I could use as a step to get into the box would be a great bonus. I presume it is not illegal as hitches stick out the back, would have to watch interference when turning sharply with a trailer.
    Rob

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tooler2 For This Useful Post:

Sprig1 (Nov 17, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Woo Hoo!

Finally, I get to add to a discussion.

I bought one of the taller HF hoists, made a hitch receiver mount for it and my '95 Land Rover Discovery instantly became "The Yard Mule"!

I use the ever-loving snot out of it.

Replaced the cable with a poly rope from CustomSplice.com (Todd's a Helluva good guy).

The only issue I've had is that I left the ram extended and the pump both exposed one winter. A quick second with some emery cloth renewed the ram, but the pump required new o-rings. Of course, the o-rings came from a Harbor Freight o-ring kit.

Mine has been in use for maybe eight to ten years, had lifted countless engines, etc and while I was a Snap-On dealer, lifted things like tire machines and made life much easier for me.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    That looks similar to the approach that I'm leaning towards JoeH, though the particular crane that I'm looking at doesn't have the two joining flanges but rather round tube stuck onto round tube for the pivot. I'm also considering an ATV hoist later on and I'll mount it in place of the boat trailer winch, which is just bolted to a flat base plate welded on top of the boom.

I'm sold on this general idea by all the comments posted about the usefulness of their cranes in whichever form. Thanks y'all.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    And Bob's yer uncle. I finished the bed mount yesterday and tested it today with a 500# rock and it was easy peasy. I didn't hear any metal straining during the lift and I don't see any new bending of the bed afterwards so I think my mount is probably OK up to the hoist's rated capacity of 1000#. The base plate is an 18" square of 3/8" plate bolted to a frame rail and the rear cross support, and the hoist is bolted to the plate (all grade 8 bolts).

Progress marches on and my back thanks me for it. Thanks to all for your input which guided my decision to buy and install this bad boy. It'll be a game changer for me.

Pickup Bed Hoist-hoist.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 28, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Now you can go and get the rest of the scrap steel you found a few weeks back.
    Good on you for the back saver
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information