Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Converting Hydraulic shop press to electric. For 40 Dollars.

Thanks

bobneumann's Tools

Converting Hydraulic shop press to electric. For 40 Dollars.

How to add electric power to any manual shop press that is based on a bottle jack, using an airless paint sprayer as the hydraulic pump.

Includes a discussion of bottle jack basics, how to invert a bottle jack, and how to turn a bottle jack into an hydraulic cylinder.

Part 1 of 2:

Part 2 of 2, press frame modifications, hydraulic fitting creation, final assembly and testing.

Converting Hydraulic shop press to electric.  For 40 Dollars.-2019-11-06-18_00_03-converting-hydraulic-press-manual-electric.-40-dollars_-part-2.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by bobneumann; Nov 6, 2019 at 04:01 PM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bobneumann For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Nov 8, 2019), Canyonman44 (Oct 1, 2022), clydeman (Apr 13, 2022), DIYer (Nov 6, 2019), Inner (Nov 9, 2019), JoeVanGeaux (Apr 14, 2022), Jon (Nov 7, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Nov 7, 2019), Philip Davies (Nov 8, 2019), sossol (Nov 10, 2019), TomBuildsStuff (Nov 7, 2019), trevor_60_r (Mar 24, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks bobneumann! We've added your Manual Press Conversion to our Brakes and Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobneumann's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Hans Pearson (Nov 8, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanks you for your video. I have done very much the same thing, turning jack upside down etc but I operated it from a hand pump hydraulic power pack. One thing I discovered was that the piston at times sucks in air which builds up in the reservoir and has blown out the 'bottom' reservoir seal. This I overcame by replacing the filler plug with a small filter. I have the problem of slow extension on the ram, slower because the power pack pump is smaller than the jack's. Not being lucky enough to find a pump, I am considering using a hydro-pneumatic dash pot for faster but low pressure extension of the ram and then take over with the hand pump. (The power pack pump allows me to pump in the conventional direction, independent of the jack pump).

Thanks

bobneumann's Tools
    Good point. I didn't make it clear in the video, but my reservoir isn't actually sealed. It has the factory rubber fill plug in place, but that plug easily "weeps". If any pressure is present, the plug just leaks it out.

The rubber plug used to be installed in the hole where I now have the suction tube fitting. I drilled a new hole up near the jack base plate and put the plug there.

Converting Hydraulic shop press to electric.  For 40 Dollars.-fill-plug.jpg

Thanks for your input.

Bob

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Most of the video I was impressed at the way you addressed each problem one after another. I work in a similar manner. Although I couldn't predict the next task, each made perfect sense. When you showed the press hinged to the aluminum cabinet my jaw hit the floor. That was a bit of surprise genius. Having a similarly microscopic work area, anything that make it easier to work in the slide puzzle that is my garage is very much appreciated.

You have one more subscriber now.

Neil

Thanks
    Excellent video and Idea!

Thanks

bobneumann's Tools
    Thanks, Neil! Your kind words made my day.

Bob

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I love you diagrams showing how a jack works. When a jack ceases to function what is the normal cause? I had assumed the pump seal but I see the check balls must seat well. If a jack does not have the hex collar is it still likely screwed together?Thanks, Rob

Thanks

bobneumann's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooler2 View Post
    I love you diagrams showing how a jack works. When a jack ceases to function what is the normal cause? I had assumed the pump seal but I see the check balls must seat well. If a jack does not have the hex collar is it still likely screwed together?Thanks, Rob
    I'm not sure there is a single normal cause. Could be bad seals in the main cylinder or the pump. Could be debris in either check valve or in the bypass valve. I'm not sure about the hex collar.

Hope it helps.

Bob

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information