Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Frank S is correct. I [we] read posts and visualize, or look at jpgs and assemble the details. He was born with it.
    My perspectives are induced.
    I think he slipped little sumpthin-summin in my lime sherbet.
    Tm51 to think my 3rd grade teacher told my parents that I was educationally stupid due to my dyslexia. And no you never outgrow it you learn to use it to your advantage by seeing everything mixed up in your mind's eye

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

JoeVanGeaux (Nov 30, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Nov 18, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    [re post #61 ]
    I fully believe that. Also positive there are different unrecognized forms of autism, dyslexia, etc, highest in the very most creative people.
    A hammer, violin, paint brush or pen and paper, we see people all through time with incomparable abilities; even with less initial exposure to one medium or another.
    In other words, the teacher and the system in place may well had been those with limitations.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Took the high n mighties all kinds of time to determin what my "defects" were around 3rd grade. 5th grade teacher accused me of cheating when I got good grades on geometry tests in stead of the normal 0% to 20 something %. I still have no use for the individual. There really is a silver lining if you can look for it. The "dyslexia" still shows its self occasionally but my mind does tend to go on strike at a certain level of complexity. Simple computer programming I could do, with the more complex programming my attempts were so overly complicated as to be usually non functional. Just couldn't see the forest thru the trees. Found my niche as my bosses fixer-carpenter. Odd job for someone who sees the world in an odd way. Found my silver lining. Looks like several others here also have, it is good to have company.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 19, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Removed most of the scaffolding from the South side of the building today. some to be used on another project some to be used in another place.
    This is turning out to be how not to build a work shop
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20191119_174107aqw.jpg

Thanks

Rikk's Tools
    Great progress considering you are working mostly alone or with minimal help. I'd bet it will be built better than if you paid for it to be done.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Great progress considering you are working mostly alone or with minimal help. I'd bet it will be built better than if you paid for it to be done.
    The only help if you can really call them that was for setting 4 of the trusses, or the wife holding 1 end of a tape measure occasionally.
    I doubt if it will be built better or even as good as it would if I were paying to have it done. For one thing I would not have allowed it to be built from scrap, for another I can be a down right demanding tyrant when I'm paying for the labor because I expect anyone working for me to be proficient in their duties and to know how to do their job. Lastly having designed numerous pre-engineered structures the design would have been such that the thing would have been completed 6 months ago. but where's the fun in having something built for you.

Thanks

Rikk's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The only help if you can really call them that was for setting 4 of the trusses, or the wife holding 1 end of a tape measure occasionally.
    I doubt if it will be built better or even as good as it would if I were paying to have it done. For one thing I would not have allowed it to be built from scrap, for another I can be a down right demanding tyrant when I'm paying for the labor because I expect anyone working for me to be proficient in their duties and to know how to do their job. Lastly having designed numerous pre-engineered structures the design would have been such that the thing would have been completed 6 months ago. but where's the fun in having something built for you.
    I'm with you there. If it's in my skill set, you can bet I will do it and pay much closer attention to detail than anyone else would. That is a huge project, in every sense of the word, I'm not sure if I'd take it on, good job Frank!

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I'm with you there. If it's in my skill set, you can bet I will do it and pay much closer attention to detail than anyone else would. That is a huge project, in every sense of the word, I'm not sure if I'd take it on, good job Frank!
    Ditto, and also on demanding if it's something I expect the contractor to know how to do. We used to have tons of trouble getting PC boards fabricated in the USA, they often acted like they'd never made a board before. They couldn't quote anything until we had the design complete then they would say "no, can't do that" or "we will have to charge a lot extra for that".

We now use exclusively reputable Chinese manufacturers. We ask what they can do, they give us a list. If we want something special, it's a cheap add-on or even free. AND they ship early with boards that match our requirements.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Nov 25, 2019), Rikk (Nov 20, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Even as electronically challenged as I am I can print and etch a PC board albeit it would have to be a fairly simple one.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Hard to tell what I am doing in the photos but I am preparing to add an anti-room to the side of the shop to provide a space for the stairs to the school bus and a shop restroom. One pipe has a wheel welded to the bottom like all the rest of the posts have and one already had concrete on it so instead of breaking the concrete off I decided to just burry it the total size of the area will be 8ft by 15 ft
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191130_13_20_01_richbn.jpg
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191130_14_17_50_richbn.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191130_11_40_50_richbn.jpg

Thread Information