Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CNC Plasma cutting table

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Sgbarker's Tools
    Thanks Jon... not sure why I was having trouble with the link. Any suggestions for future posts?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Sgbarker's Tools

DIY CNC plasma cutter auto torch height controller interface

This video show how I did the Torch height controller interface to my Hypertherm powermax 900.

DIY CNC plasma cutter part 3

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Sgbarker's Tools
    I had some questions about how I did electrical and electronic isolation. So I put together a short video to explain how I did it. Hope it helps!

Last edited by Sgbarker; Nov 22, 2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Mid spelling on “electronic”

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sgbarker For This Useful Post:

jdurand (Nov 22, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Nov 22, 2019), Seedtick (Nov 22, 2019)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Obviously in your case it isn't a problem, but when using multiple switch mode power supplies like that you can run into issues with inrush current. That's like the starting current on a motor. Power supplies usually limit that current to 50 amps for 1-2 cycles of the power main so wire heating isn't as much an issue as the power switch blowing up.

A place I worked at was testing lots of production units with those power supplies. They were plugging them into a 6 outlet power strip on the test bench one at a time and that always worked. For some reason a person (NOT me) turned off the switch on the power strip and then back on with all 6 devices plugged in. The power strip blew up in his hand.

Don't do that!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Sgbarker's Tools
    That’s interesting, I haven’t had any issues at all. I’m using Nema 23 stepper motors so they don’t draw a lot current even at start up, I think it’s because the motor drivers limit the current anyway. I’ll have to keep an eye on it... thanks
    Last edited by Sgbarker; Nov 22, 2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Missed word

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgbarker View Post
    That’s interesting, I haven’t had any issues at all. I’m using Nema 23 stepper motors so they don’t draw a lot current even at start up, I think it’s because the motor drivers limit the current anyway. I’ll have to keep an eye on it... thanks
    Load on the supply isn't critical, the surge is just getting the power supplies started up before they even start producing an output.

I ran into the problem on a smaller scale on some medical equipment I designed mumble decades ago, I had one switching supply powering another. The startup current of the second one would trip out the first one. I had to devise a soft-start for it. Now most supplies have fold-back current limits on the output, they reduce the voltage to keep the output wattage in check but since they still supply some it lets things get going. Solves most startup problems like I had.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information