Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Rotary table stepper motor encoder mounting plate and encoder bore reducer

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Rotary table stepper motor encoder mounting plate and encoder bore reducer

Hi All

I have made the mounting plate so the Nema 34 stepper motor can have the encoder mounted to its back shaft.

This mounting plate is basically a washer 5mm thick and 60mm diameter with an 18mm hole. Mounting holes are drilled/countersunk and tapped holes for M3 screws.

There will be a cover made at a later date which will be held in place by the two long screws. (see photos)

I also had to make a reducing split bush to go from 0.250" to 5 mm so it would fit the motor shaft. This is secured via two grub screws from the encoder to clamp the shaft.

The next step is to solder the plug to the correct wires to see if it will read using the arduino.

Rotary table stepper motor encoder mounting plate and encoder bore reducer-encoder-mounting-plate.jpg
    Mounting plate

Rotary table stepper motor encoder mounting plate and encoder bore reducer-stepper-encoder-ready-assembly.jpg
    Ready for assembly

Rotary table stepper motor encoder mounting plate and encoder bore reducer-encoder-shaft-sleeve.jpg
    Reducing bush
    Rotary table stepper motor encoder mounting plate and encoder bore reducer-encoder.jpg
    Ready to be wired to plug

Rotary table stepper motor encoder mounting plate and encoder bore reducer-encoder-2.jpg Rotary table stepper motor encoder mounting plate and encoder bore reducer-encoder-fitted.jpg
    Two long screws for cover (still to be made)

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

darkoford (Nov 22, 2019), DIYSwede (Nov 23, 2019), Eaglewood (Nov 25, 2019), Ironworkerl417 (Nov 23, 2019), Jon (Nov 22, 2019), MeJasonT (Nov 23, 2019), Paul Jones (Nov 22, 2019), Stevohdee (Nov 22, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Looks like your moving along on the RT project. I like the idea of closing the loop with stepper motors.
    I did play with an Arduino Uno and Due, to see how fast I could count an encoder, using edge triggered interrupts. I have a 5000 count unit, that I drove with a electric drill. The Due could keep track of counts with 9 microseconds between pulses. At least that is my memory. I was loosing pulses with the Uno. The drill was in low gear with 350RPM max, and full throttle was too fast.
    This experiment is for the project I need to get back to, which is putting an encoder on a milling machine power feed, which has a universal motor. The speed controller in it is based on an SCR type circuit, as AC power is fed to the motor. I would change this to DC and PWM drive it. There is no feedback to maintain constant speed, but the goal is to dial in a feed rate base on spindle RPM. Also I want to add electronic travel limit.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

DIYSwede (Nov 23, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Encoder Mounting Plate to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Encoder Shaft Sleeve to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information