Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: CONCRETE WELD MESH LIFTER

Thanks

ranald's Tools

CONCRETE WELD MESH LIFTER

If you have ever tried to lift mesh in concrete you know why I made this very simple tool from leftover mesh. As I dont do heaps of concreteing I use it also as a hanger for my light concreteing square nose shovel. Good dual use & hook is ready with shovel anytime I need it. The handle end is bent over a bit allowing two uses, and if more leverage is required then a piece of gal water pipe (kept in tool box) can be placed in the neck.
    CONCRETE WELD MESH LIFTER-rsz_dsc_0202-3-.jpg
    I have seen guys lift mesh using the rear(top) corner of a square nose but this places heaps of stress on ones wrist and tricky to learn/master the maneuvre while others try to plunge their hand in as the slump is/was going off really fast.

Of course if there are always enough bar chairs it should not be needed, however, even when there are enough chairs, in the rush of the moment big wellies can dislodge one or several chairs and this little tool hanging from the belt shines on.

With my first one, the cross bars were ground off but it then would bend under severe load so this next model has a short section of the welded cross bar still attached & have had no further problems.

Always try to have enough chairs, as I believe using broken bricks or stones weakens the strength of the finished concrete and may allow white ants an advantage.

Cheers

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Dec 9, 2019), Jon (Dec 12, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks ranald! We've added your Concrete Weld Mesh Lifter to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: ranald's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Ranald, another great 'simple' tool...My old man had a dedicated old curved claw hammer he used for the same job!
    We were up your way in Sept on a 6 week QLD van trip, passed your neck of the woods then over to Tewantin for 4 nights. How have you fared the fires? Hope all is well.
    Jim

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Ranald, another great 'simple' tool...My old man had a dedicated old curved claw hammer he used for the same job!
    We were up your way in Sept on a 6 week QLD van trip, passed your neck of the woods then over to Tewantin for 4 nights. How have you fared the fires? Hope all is well.
    Jim
    Thanks Jim,
    I've seen concretors use a hammer but would never do that to mine.

Ok with fires here but prob caused no reg bidders showing for our Auction so I'm still culling & not doing much beside house/yard work with 3 open houses per week. Big job when I've collected great junk for "what iffs" over past 50 or so years. Hundreds of sales on gumtree for pennies but good for environment & less to move later.LOL.

Cheers

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Yea, I'm of the 'handy, if you never need it...' mantra as well. I had a huge workshop sale when I moved down to the coast, some stuff I just closed my eyes and let it go. Nowadays, if it's past use by us, and not worth advt on Bue Sell Swap, out the front on the verge with a free sign. It's worth the smiles on their faces when they stop to get it. I put out a small but solid welded table, 1000 x 1000, a towie picked it up and rang the bell. His young son handed me $20 and said 'thank you, mister'...if I've had the use of something and no longer need it, a new owner and new home is all I require these days...cheers

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

ranald (Dec 9, 2019)

Thread Information